View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Yup like I said you don't have ready access to wide open spaces. I lived in Upminster for years so I do know what is available to you
You seem to have the answer for everything.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Never use one. Tried it once and didn't get as much effect as my voice. She enever goes that far away to be honest, likes to know where I am......
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think that was a joke tbh
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
You have to train a dog to respond to a whistle - the same method as a clicker. It`s a useful piece of equipment, to be used if you`re going to work your dog at a distance. It`s not meant as a substitute for the voice at close range.
eta - I had lessons once from an ex-army guy whose dogs were trained to respond to silent signals (used on active service) as well as voice and whistle. It`s amazing how dogs can understand a range of methods to mean the same thing - clever creatures!
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
So nice of you to recognise that .

By the way I had to smile at your comment about "formal whistle training" being required. I've never had a dog that in any way needed such, they all picked it up within minutes. My new one Yorkie who has been in breeding kennels all his life until I got him 3 months ago, took approximately 2 minutes to realise what was required and has been brilliant ever since at recall.

But I suppose some people/dogs need training to do the most basic things.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 11:20 AM
But I suppose some people/dogs need training to do the most basic things.
Silly me, I forgot you were the perfect dog trainer!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but this almost sounds to me as if you think people who need a whistle can't properly recall their dogs? Surely not?
No.
You said it was area specific as to whether people needed to use a whistle, those walking in open countryside needed to use a whistle more than those walking in urban parks (or at least that's how I interpreted your post from what I recall). I then said I thought that wasn't the case, that it was probably more of a breed specific thing...if that though, that actually it was down to the individual dog.

Example.
I had to train all our pups to recall instantly to the whistle,not only did they have to recall they had to sit in front of me and nudge my hand (given they were going to be guide dogs in the future and their owner would have to know they were there. ) The whistle was used so there was continuity in training. They did however, also have to have an instant recall to voice.
ALL the pups did exceptionally well with recall and were trained in the same way. Except our Flat Coat (not Cosmo) who from the instant we let him off lead showed an independant streak. He just headed off to share his love with anyone and anything, no matter how aggressive the dog or anti dog the person was. It took us a year to get his recall up to scratch and then it went to pot again in training. He is still spoken about because of his antics at his initial training centre (escapologist AND poor recall....not good.) This boy now has pefect recall because he adores his owner and has realised he is blind.
The whistle was vital in teaching his recall.

ALL the other pups, whatever the breed, have been totally fine, as have our own dogs. Our BCs have been more inclined to head off at a distance, so we used our mouth to whistle them back. The others stay pretty close and recall as I have said to voice/mouth whistles and gundog whistles (which they have been specifically trained to recall to).

So, I feel it is down to the personality of the individual dog with some breed traits thrown in. BCs tend to wander further (but will always know exactly where you are and will circle etc) but other breeds (like GSDs) will stay close. Some dogs though have very individual personalitys and what works with one doesn't work with another.

Nothing to do with some dogs having pants recall. Just to do with individual temperament...some undertand the whistle better than a voice command...sometimes this is down to poor training (IMO) as they have been shouted and have chosen not to come so many times they feel it is an 'optional' command...but generally it is just one of those things.

People are very touchy on this thread...

For what it's worth, apart from the assistance dogs I know, the other dogs I have seen being recalled to a whistle have had a pants recall. I actually held on to one dog after its owner had been whistling for 10 minutes and he was dancing around with us, whilst said owner came to get him, still whistling.
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Silly me, I forgot you were the perfect dog trainer!
Once again thank you so much for your kind acknowledgement, but I don't train dogs I just live with Boxers.

And if you think it is remarkable "training" feat or indeed a lie, that is your prerogative.

I can only tell you that ALL my dogs learned excellent recall without the need for any formal training, and they learned it very quickly.

In fact I am astonished that anyone could think it necessary to need formal training. I reiterate though that I only know Boxers, other dogs may not be so bright or their owners ...........
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 11:45 AM
In fact I am astonished that anyone could think it necessary to need formal training
And I am ASTONISHED that anyone could think it might not be necessary to need formal training. Judging by the number of people that use whistles and get absolutely NO response around here, I would say that those dogs need more training. Dogs that have no recall before a whistle is introduced won't magically achieve a wonderful recall when the whistle is blown.

I can only tell you that ALL my dogs learned excellent recall without the need for any formal training, and they learned it very quickly.
You are very lucky then. But you are in the minority rather than the majority. The majority of dogs require training to achieve a reliable recall in the face of most distractions.
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Dogs that have no recall before a whistle is introduced won't magically achieve a wonderful recall when the whistle is blown.
Whoopee ! we have agreement.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >