View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 08:28 PM

HELP! 'puppy training' an older dog (House-training)

How do we stop dud peeing in the house? newspaper would be good for poop etc - but he cocks his leg to pee - how do we stop that? i'm at my wits end here! lol - and it's only day 1! sorry... just panicking about karl's books...

xx
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 08:55 PM
my mums male dog does this... last time he did it he cocked his leg on a plug and blew the electrics

The only thing i can suggest is go back to basics with him. Sorry not sure how old dud is as ive been away for so long and cant seem to keep up
But i suggest keeping a close eye on him and try take him out everytime he looks like hes about to go and praise him with your voice and using treats everytime he goes to the toilet outside. When he goes to the toilet inside, if u catch him simply say 'no' and take him outside to where he should go. If u dont catch him however, do not say anything and just clean up the mess.

Depending how long hes been doing this for, u will need to thoroughly clean everything he's peed on, otherwise he will pick up the scent in the house and probably use that place again.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Is it a behaviour problem or just that he doesn't know any better?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I would assume he just doesn't know any better - or is just plain confused from the crap that's gone on for him the last few months. He's been living outside until today - so he may only be used to concrete - hence our tiles in the kitchen... I really think he means to please us all the time - this isn't his fault, and i didn't and wouldn't tell him off for it.

xx
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 10:02 PM
If he's been living outside all his life, he really has no concept of indoors and outdoors - there's no way he understands there's any difference in where he goes. You're gonna need to go back to basics with him, but completely softly-softly until he's settled down. How old is he? He may also be marking (not just weeing) and trying to claim a little piece of security for himself. You'll know the difference between marking and weeing.

You need to be taking him to the back door regularly - go outside with him, wait till he's done the deed, lots of praise, treats, trigger words etc. Basically as you would a puppy. First thing in the morning, before you do anything else, and throughout the day. Watch him like a hawk for excessive sniffing, circling etc. As he gets the idea (and he will, it just might take a little longer with an older dog) start asking him to bark at the back door. If he's nervous, he'll need tons of reassurance that he's doing the right thing. As he settles, if he turns out to be a cocky, confident little ****** you may need to dictate "black and white" a little clearer than just ignoring accidents - a firm "No!", stamp your foot if you catch him mid-flow etc and redirect him to the correct place.

It'll take time Zoundz; it you're already at your wit's end you may need to acquire a longer wit

Becs
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 10:24 PM
lol- no not at wits end yet - that was heat of moment after he'd destroyed £100's worth of books!

Yes - he's definately weeing not scent marking - and i am not sure that he's lived outside all his life - but i would say it's possible. Certainly the last month or two he has for sure.

Will try as you say - though it'll be hard - we're not home much in the week.
All I can do is my best i guess.

xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Some people may not agree, but if you're not around much during the week, what about the puppy piddle pads they do. They are marked with a scent to draw them to them. May give you a start in the right direction.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Ah... yes! I noticed them for sale. I didn't know whether they were just glorified newspaper or something though lol! Anyone else got any other views on these? I wouldn't say no to trying them if they are worth it - but I know that they aren't the cheapest (i think about £1.50 for 7? anyhow - keep the thoughts coming! we had a pee free night in the bathroom last night lol! :P

xx
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-10-2005, 08:50 AM
He may just be marking his new territory. If so leave it about an hour or so before cleaning it, that way whatever it is dogs look for stays there. You can clean it like crazy once it's been left.

Graeme
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2005, 09:36 AM
We used them when Cassie was a puppy and they worked fine for her. We put them at the kitchen door and she went there...most of the time LOL

If you buy the bigger pack, they are cheaper!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >