Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 03:45 PM

I am the Duck Whisperer!!

At my place of work we have a mallard who nests in the same place every year.

Last year, I undertook to look after her and the ducklings, giving them fresh water every day and duck food. To my delight, she came back to the same place again this year, and out of 13 eggs has hatched 12!!

Here they are ... the picture is crap, because I had no idea how to turn the flash on on my camera, but I have taken some much better ones today which I will upload tonight when I get home. If this one doesn't look too good once I post this, I will see if I can find some better ones.

She is so incredibly tame, does not fly away when I go out into the courtyard garden to see to them, the babies are absolutely to die for they are so sweet.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 03:46 PM
This one is a bit better ...

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 03:48 PM
And the last one for now, sorry they are not very good, the ones I took today with the flash will be much better.

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Lovely pics I love ducks and ducklings.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

mmmmm - so do I, especially spit roasted on the barbecue!!

No, no, no, Nikki, you must not eat Mrs Mallard, you have been looking after her and feeding her for the past month, that would be very Norty - I sound like Bruce the shark in Finding Nemo ...

FISH ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD!!

Nikki's mantra:

DUCK ARE FRIENDS NOT FOOD!!

only joking, I would not hurt a feather on their little ducks, and would whack with my hoe anyone who dared!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:13 PM
thanx by the way for your nice comments, I forgot my manners there for a moment!!

I'm bored at work with nothing to do, everyone has gone home, I think I shall go and bed them down for the night and head home.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I must admit I never eat duck when we had a boat they were always round the boat being fed and I cannot eat them nor can Gorden.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I must admit I never eat duck when we had a boat they were always round the boat being fed and I cannot eat them nor can Gorden.
'fraid I love duck, and goose, in fact i'm a real carnivore which is strange because I love animals, all animals, far more than I do my own species.

I'm off to see to the little darlings now, make sure they are all cosy for the weekend.

x
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Lovely photos and so glad you are looking after her and her"gang".

My mum was born in 1922 ,1 of 11 children,so times were hard.
She told me that one year their dad bought a duck to fatten up for Christmas.They named him Donald-(I know not the most original of names)and he used to follow all the kids round.

When it got to Christmas and it was time to do the "dirty deed" ,no one had the heart,so Donald lived a happy life until he went to duck heaven.
Maureen
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
Lovely photos and so glad you are looking after her and her"gang".

My mum was born in 1922 ,1 of 11 children,so times were hard.
She told me that one year their dad bought a duck to fatten up for Christmas.They named him Donald-(I know not the most original of names)and he used to follow all the kids round.

When it got to Christmas and it was time to do the "dirty deed" ,no one had the heart,so Donald lived a happy life until he went to duck heaven.
Maureen
Sweet, how lovely. I suspect if I had to kill my own food, I would possibly not be such a carnivore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >