View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I've never really thought about it, but I suppose I assumed it meant the same thing - a dog that doesn't have to earn its keep (showing, breeding, working or whatever).
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
All companion dogs are pets so in that sense there's no difference, but not all pet dogs are companions (although they should be)
I agree with what Brierley's getting at

A 'pet' is almost seen as a material object, something you 'own', a possession - almost like a commodity (tho not quite - but obviously clearly the case for some people).

A companion, is much more like a friend or some one or something that you give a lot more respect to, than say some inanimate object.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't really understand what this question is about. But I think of my dog as my 'pal' and almost constant companion. That's just FACT - apart from a few weeks of the year when she is boarded - she is always with me.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 08:46 PM
My dogs are an integral part of my family. They are my companions and I am theirs. They are dependent on me for their food, exercise and well being and in return they give me/us great pleasure.

I don't like the word 'pet' it makes a dog sound like a hobby. That is my opinions anyway.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Well in all the adverts my dogs have appeared in, I have always put

Constant, cherished companions of.............
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well in all the adverts my dogs have appeared in, I have always put

Constant, cherished companions of.............
Yes I like that word 'companion'. That's how I think of Bella (and how I thought of Charlie Girl before her).

Of course, because I work from home I am constantly with her - so I suppose that does make her more of a 'companion' but I still think of her as my pal and she DOES make me smile and laugh every day of my life. You develop a VERY good and special relationship with your dog when you are lucky enough to be able to be with them 24/7. You really can just talk to them in a 'conversational' tone of voice instead of a 'command' voice to get them to do WADDEVER! And they do TAKE THE PISS OUT OF YOU TOO! We are often a good comedy 'double' act!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree with you Tangutica ... when you're with your dogs 24/7 they're not only your constant companions but also your best friends.

I spend a lot of time in conversation with my two talking about what we plan to do like.... shall we go shopping today or leave it till tomorrow? I even ask them to remind me to buy milk or potatoes. My friends think I've gone completely gaga talking to my dogs like that but I don't care .... I'm happy and so are they.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Very interesting part of today's symposium is how owners view their dogs and their relationship ie

Parent:child;
childarent;
sibling:sibling;
advocate:best friend

Quite revealing
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2012, 02:44 PM
How does the advocate best friend one work..lol?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Hmmmm interesting. I'm not sure how I would place myself. I don't view my dogs as children at all. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say the ate "part of the family." For me they are dogs, animals, that I enjoy for what they are.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >