Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
In my humble opinion, if your dedication to a sport comes before the love you have for your dog, you need to sort your priorities out! I can understand better why it is the case with horses, they are so much more expensive to keep and don't live in the house with you, but I can't fathom why anyone would go out and get a dog, train it, love it, form a bond with it, and then pass it along because it's not good enough/doesn't like the activity/whatever. Makes no sense to me.
Completely agree!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I also have very mixed feelings on breeding/buying for hobbies too. Probably, in the vast majority of cases, particularly on this forum, there doesn't seem to be any conflict between the dog & the hobby. People try to find a dog that will be good at their hobby, but if it doesn't work out, then the dog is still a much-loved family member.

But to put the hobby before the dog, is, IMO, not something a true dog lover would do, & sadly, for those people, their dogs would probably be better off in a home where they are loved & treated with respect & kindness.

Working dogs like assistance dogs, police dogs, sheep dogs etc, are a bit different in that humans effectively need & rely on these dogs to be able to live normal lives or be able to do a specific job. Howver much I may disagree with animals being exploited like this, I like to think that the majority of working dogs are leading lifestyles that suit them, that they are treated well & all their needs provided for ~ so perhaps, even if human needs are put before those of the dog, it doesn't necessarily mean the dog suffers at all.

I hate to think that dogs are passed on when they can't fulfil the owner's needs or wishes, especially if the dog is happy where it is with it's own circle of human & canine friends. I feel the same about other pets & particularly horses where it seems perfectly acceptable to sell on a horse when the owner feels like it. Horses can bond to their field/stable mates & form pair bonds, so by just passing them on to another owner, it can be hugely upsetting for the horse. Yet no-one seems to think this is unacceptable or take this into account with horses.
So, am I reading the emboldened paragraph correctly, that you think working dogs are exploited? And, if that is the case, why do you feel that way?

Is it not better for a well bred sheepdog to live the life he was bred for? Working stock is ingrained into his psyche and to deprive him of that is actually detrimental to many of his breed. So long as the working dog, in whatever sphere, is treated with respect, is well cared for and has affection, food, shelter etc ... I can't see how that is exploiting a dog.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 11:27 AM
See, Benjie was a pet for my OH and his family, Sadie was a pet for her owners too.
Louie was a gift, a gift I didn't take lightly. You will have all seen the many threads I have started as I am trying to find something to keep him occupied. He has working springer in him so I want him to be able to do at least something that working springers do. I have done a level of obedience with him, which in my books he excels at, now I don't know much about obedience but he does most of what I ask him too and thats what I think he should do.

Ours weren't gotten for sports, although now I have Louie I'm finding I have to get into a sport - I may not like it but I have a dog who does - or hopefully will, so as my dogs are my hobby and passion also - I have to do things I don't want to.

For example - if I got a husky, I'd be looking into starting sledding.

If I'd got a collie - I'd be looking into agility, obedience and herding.

I have a gundog cross - so I'm looking into gundog activites.

If I'd got a utility dog - I'd be looking into cart pulling etc.

If I'd got a dobie or a rottie or even a GSD - I'd be looking into herding (rottie and GSD) or Personal protection with Obedience (can't spell the german word)

So my dogs would be put before the hobby, I'd change the hobby depending on what dog I got - if that makes sense. And if for instance that dog was no good at the hobby, I'd find something it would be good at, but if it wasn't able to do anything - then it'd be a pet - a much loved and cherished pet.

Moobli
Is it not better for a well bred sheepdog to live the life he was bred for? Working stock is ingrained into his psyche and to deprive him of that is actually detrimental to many of his breed. So long as the working dog, in whatever sphere, is treated with respect, is well cared for and has affection, food, shelter etc ... I can't see how that is exploiting a dog.
I agree - hence looking into something for Louie.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Just thinking out loud here, interested in everyones views

Personaly I think if someone has to work their dog, or has an assistance dog or something then they NEED a dog to do the job they need doing
They need to find a dog bred to be able to do the job, and if the dog for whatever reason cannot do the job then they need another dog - and possibly (sadly) may have to pass on that dog

But what about for a hobby?
I know people who have got dogs for their hobby, the dogs have been unable to do the hobby, but they loved the dogs and found a new hobby
I also know people who have passed on dogs because they were unable to do the hobby
and I know people who get a dog then fall into the hobby as something fun to do with their dog

So I guess my questions are

Should you get a dog just to do a hobby with? why not , if you and your dog enjoy your hobby.
What happens if the dog grows up unable to do the hobby? Is it OK to pass them on to someone else? the dogs welfare is paramount, if that means passign it on , so be it.
Does it matter what the hobby is? NoShould dogs be bred just to do a hobby? - pedigree dogs? crossbreeds? depends on what you are breeding for I have a whole lot of conflicting ideas on this one, be interested to hear what you all think

My next dog will be to fulfill my hobby (showing) I make no apology for that, my dogs are first and foremost my pets, then if they can help me in my hobby , even better..

Personally i would never move one on if it does not fit my hobby, but then I also dont have a problem with those who do move them on, have said it many times before, the dogs welfare is the most important thing, and if its not reaching its potential (or beign ignored) at one home, it may well fit a new home better.

Lets face it, many a "pet" home neglect their dogs, are they better homes because they keep their dogs , than the owner who moves a dog on, because they know its not in the right home.

Originally Posted by Jacquiestringer View Post
Dogs should be part of the family and treated as such, not just as a hobby. If you want a hobby collect stamps!!
bit of a patronising viewpoint there, so you should only take up a hobby that involves inanimate objects

So all members here who have a hobby that involve their dogs need to give it up and take up stamp collecting
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So all members here who have a hobby that involve their dogs need to give it up and take up stamp collecting
That would make for "interesting" discussions on Dogsey
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I guess for me the issue is where the dog is bought SOLELY for the purpose of competing, and when it can't do that, it no longer has it's place as a member of the family and is moved along. If it's the best choice for the dog to be rehomed, I'm not against that at all. But my point is, why should it be the best choice for the dog? Why is the owner no longer taking responsibility, why is the dog no longer welcome through no fault of it's own? Why would anyone get a dog, having the viewpoint from the start that when it is no longer any use for agility/showing/breeding/whatever you can just pass it along and replace it? It's no less irresponsible than getting a puppy then getting rid because you got bored with it, IMHO. As far as I'm concerned if you buy an animal you make a commitment to it, for it's entire life, not just for when it can win a rosette for you.

Though I should clarify, I'm not against buying dogs for hobbies at all- I've no doubt that it's a very fulfilling life for the dog!! And fully applaud those who have the time and commitment to dedicate themselves to it. But outside of a working (and therefore the dog working being necessary for economic wellbeing) environment, I just don't see how you can justify moving a dog along for the reason that it doesn't perform well enough.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Dogs should be part of the family and treated as such, not just as a hobby. If you want a hobby collect stamps!!
??????????????

Oh so we had all better stop competing in Agility, Working Trials, Flyball, Schutzhund, Obedience, Field Trials, Gundog Working Tests, Rally, HWTM as NO dog owner or DOG should participate in a hobby?????

Also, participating in a hobby and living in the house with the family are NOT mutually exclusive, where DID you get these strange ideas?
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:30 AM
My dogs are my family, I bought Fiji to keep Moet company but got drawn back into showing.

Fiji has had two litters, I wanted a dog and a bitch to show, she had 4 pup, I kept 3 my daughter had the other one, I showed the 2 and the 3rd is just a pet, the ones I showed had much more experiences than the one left at home! I do however sometimes take him with me when I am caravanning at shows, he loves it!

It is possible to own dogs who are dearly loved and also are part of your hobby. Who wants to go off and do something without your dogs!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:30 AM
As for rehoming dogs that are no longer capable of performing their original function, I take issue that the dogs cannot bond with other owners (otherwise the thousands of successfully rescued dogs would all be in therapy).

And what about rejected police dogs, rejected guide dogs or retired ones etc etc?

It is often not possible for a guide dog or police dog handler to keep their retired pet, so should they also be castigated?

Incidentelly the TRUE meaning of exploit is of course not a perjorative, and we ALL exploit dogs for one reason or another ie even as pets we exploit their existence for our pleasure!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:40 AM
My RC was bought for a hobby (showing) the show owners didnt want her because she didnt like the ring, so should they have rehomed her to a loving pet home (ie, me), or just left her in the kennel where she was living and left her to live her life in isolation/boredom?
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »