register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

16-05-2004, 01:02 AM

Neutering... when is the best time to spay or castrate?

Interested in everyone's views on this.

I don't hold with neutering young (i.e. before a bitch's first season or a dog before a bare minimum of 2 for my breed). Although coat quality is not really an issue for rotties, I do hold with the opinion that it interferes with maturity development (as does my vet).

Grace had her first season bang on six months old and I would at let her have another one at least before considering having her neutered. Now Grace has suffered from a spasmodic incontinence problem on and off from being a teeny baby. She is more prone than normal to pick up infection which then causes the incontinence (and we are not talking a little dribble here but not being able to hold herself at all when she has one of these phases). My vet was of the opinion that it would recitify itself after her first season (so far so good) which then led me to wonder what would have happened if I had followed the trend of having her neutered before her first season.

What's your thoughts folks?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

16-05-2004, 01:30 AM
I think the boys will be with me on this one.... but I couldn't ever get Rocky's bits chopped off as I'd feel all 'cruel!' unless there was a medical reason that is!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Allison I'm glad you brought this up. I was going to post a thread asking when the best time to get a dog fixed is. I heard it could stunt their growth if done too early.

What do you mean about coat quality?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Unless it's for medical reasons, then I say leave them intact!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2004, 06:11 AM
I have seen people get reamed on dog boards for not fixing...
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

16-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi Barbara,

The coat texture tends to occur in the longer coated dogs, I've heard of cocker's coats going very woolly after neutering. In one of my neutered rotties, she did get wavy fur towards her bum where it had always been straight before.

I would agree that it could stunt their growth, it certainly interferes with their mental development, neuter too early and you end up with a perpetual puppy.

I think the decision should be down to you as an owner. Now these are just my thoughts so don't flame me anyone but I feel that the responsible suffer for the irresponsible in all these neutering drives. I see no reason why someone cannot keep their dog intact if they are responsible with their attitude. The problem puppies are produced by people who let their dogs roam, don't supervise them etc. This particular type of owner is not likely to take any notice of neutering and the problem will continue but the responsible seem to get clobbered for not having their dogs neutered (you are quite right Barbara, I've seen it on other boards many times).
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

16-05-2004, 08:39 AM
By the sound of it, Alison, if you had allowed yourself to be coerced into having your bitch spayed before her first season, then she would have suffered all her life with this incontinence. It sounds as though she is physically a late-maturer. Thank heavens you have a sensible vet! I wouldn't consider neutering any animal until its body has grown to its adult size, internally as well as externally. With the larger breeds, that can mean as late as three years old.

I agree with you entirely that responsible people are perfectly capable of keeping their intact animals under control and not allow them to produce unwanted litters. Like you, I find the 'chop-and-snip' evangelists deeply offensive.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2004, 09:29 AM
I agree with Azz... i could no way get Chester bits chopped off.
Done the cat (he has calmed done alot since then, and doesn't even attack the kids half as much... lets say he is can now sweet natured)

Our old Bullmastiff was done in the 1st or 2nd season... it was soo messy.
And we did think of letting her have pups, but we then decided against it and so we got her done. Thought we would leave that to the proper breeder who know there stuff.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

16-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Very interesting. I had Zoi spayed at seven months before her first heat cycle because from everything I read at the time advised having a bitch spayed before her first heat to prevent mammary tumors. I think having her done a little later than usual though gave her body a bit more time to fill out and mature. I don't think she would be as muscular if she had been done at a few months old. She is always mistaken as a male.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Thanks Allison for your explanation and input. Tigger was neutered at about 5 months, and he took forever to grow out of his puppy stage. He's still kind of in it. I had no idea that fixing could have that effect. I got him from a shelter so he had to be fixed before he could leave.

I will definitely wait. I'd like her body to fill out. That is interesting Bon. I think Zoi looks feminine with a great physique
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »