Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 03:31 PM

visiting children

I need a bit of advice.
My neice and nephew are visiting soon ( great! ) now my neice who is 7yrs old is scared of dogs and is a proper little madam, spoilt to the hilt and not the sort of child I like to be around for too long. My nephew is the total opposite and only 4 yrs old.
With Hector being 6 1/2 months and just finding his feet, ( very big and bouncy ) how do I handle this situation without resorting to hiding Hector away to stop the little madam from screaming.

This is a very desperate plea
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi Hectorsmum

I have a nephew aged 6 and he´s screaming and crying about everything

When I introduced him to Ally (as a puppy) I had a firm grib in the dog and let my nephew sit a few meters away while I told him all the silly little stories I could think about Ally.

Then we went for a walk with her and when we got back she was so tires and just fell asleep.

Since she had allready seen him it wasn´t a big surprise he was there when she woke up, and I´d just had to say "no" when she got to happy around around him.

I think telleing the littlle funny stories has helped my nephew to see that Ally can be a silly little dog and not some monster who just want to eat him

Its must worse now that she´s bigger and can follow him while he´s running...and won´t stop screaming!!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 03:44 PM
She does'nt even like being in the same room as any dog.Even when I had my old boy , who used to ignore her, she screamed to high heaven.

She's not met Hector, so I dreading this visit.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Can you let them meet outside?? Maybe that will help?

Or give her a present to give to the dog? Something she can pick out for herself and be exited (<-?) to give?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Has she met Hector before or will this be the first time-
you could let her do little things to make her feel all grown up _ like putting his food in his bowl or feeding him or giving him a treat etc
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 03:52 PM
oh amts

I wish it could be so simple. She cries if she gets a bit of dirt on her so dog slobber I dread to think.

She's very much like the little girl in the Just William books;

' I'll scwream and scwream and scwream '

Get my drift
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 04:11 PM
At the end of the day, they are visiting and your dog lives there
My veiw is, and we are the same with our frinds and reletives, is that if you wanna come in my house you get used to the dogs
sounds like pandering to her makes it worse
Chuck em both in a room and shut the door (only joking....poor Hector )
I agree that a little bit of reponsibility could do the trick, and the toy idea is excellent
I'm sure, after the initial excitement, that Hector will calm down (being he's still a pup) and all will be well.
Btw, I have a niece who is just the same (age 6) who freaks out if she gets slightly ruffled or a bit of dirt on her
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-11-2004, 05:43 PM
i have a neice who is 6 and lives with dogs but she is wary of tob down to his size.
hectors mum how about putting him on a lead to start with and allowing the kids to say hello with a goodie let them stroke him a bit and time for him to calm down,as he will go to them and want to play. let him off and see how they get on together.
the more you try and keep him away from her the more he will want to go to make friends its a leo thing with kids im afraid.
at the end of the day i have toby and a 6 year old who live together happy.
like others have said any family/friends that do visit know you have him and if they don't like it then tough.
please don't shut him away the only way the little girl will accept him to to get to know him and trust him.
im sure hector will do you proud and try and make friends with the children the only thing i will say is watch he doesn't get to excited as it doesn't take much for a leo to knock kids flying as you are already aware if she is like you have said it will be the dogs fault etc.
good luck
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 06:03 PM
i agree, dont shut him out of the way.
If the little girl is so spoilt and screams til u do it her way, jus let her get on with it, im sure by the end of the evening she will be fed up screaming and get used to the dog.
Either that, or she will probably shut herself away in another room peace and quiet
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi again Hectorsmum.

Yes I do "get your drift ", but I don´t know what else to tell you

Maybe put a big reed.....hm... the english word??.... you know some silky thing...kind of like a tie, but not... Get my drift??

Anyway something that will make your dog look very "toyish" (my own word ) and that a little spoiled girl can relate to.

Other than that I just don´t know! Sorry
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >