View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I rely on chemicals to treat fleas and ticks. My last dog had Flea Allergy Dermatitis and she was in misery if she got even one bite. Only solution for her when that did happen was antihistamine jab from the vet. Instant relief.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi You would find brewers yeast in Marmite,to my dogs its like peanut butter,a bit on toast,hate the stuff myself.Its amazing that there are so many differant thoughts on treating dogs.Sometime ago in the UK the EU made a directive,that all vets shouldbe using human based drugs,not sure why,but always at the bottom of anything money always plays a big part,not the welfare of the animal cynical old me crystalgirl
I'm American, I have no idea what Marmite is. My boy also dislikes peanut butter, he's a weird one. Oh well, I just read up on stuff and treat my dog with different things until we find something that works for him. Trial and error when it comes to homeopathic and medicine alike.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Marmite! People either love it or hate it! In fact some people describe themselves as 'being like Marmite'!

The Aussies have Vegemite - both are a type of Yeast Extract. By product of the brewing industry I think.

My daughter has been eating Marmite on toast every day since she could sit up. She has all sorts of Marmite paraphernalia too. Her love for it being so well known people tend to buy her Marmite things for Xmas and birthdays! Check this out:

http://www.marmiteshop.co.uk/
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I rely on chemicals to treat fleas and ticks. My last dog had Flea Allergy Dermatitis and she was in misery if she got even one bite. Only solution for her when that did happen was antihistamine jab from the vet. Instant relief.
Hi, Tangutica. It's nice to see you. Yes, I understand that many people use chemicals. It just scares me to use harsh poisons on my dog. Also, since he's so very, very old... it's not recommended to use chemicals on old dogs like him.

As for the vets, I truly avoid going there unless it's absolutely needed. After his recent fight, he had a few injuries, lots of people I know would have taken him straight to the vet, but I didn't. He hates the vet, he gets beside himself and it's always just harrowing.

His wounds have already healed. Everyone always tells me to get him to a vet and get him on AB and stuff. He's been in several little (and large) scraps in his life and he's not once gotten an infection. It's true that I am experienced with handling dogs and take great care of his wounds etc, but he's just a strong mutt dog that doesn't often need heavy medical intervention.

When he was young, EVERYONE told us to have him neutered. The vets too! They said that he'd die early if we didn't, that he'd be extremely aggressive, that he'd have tons of health problems, that he'd hump people all the time. None of that happened! What a surprise!

I hate to say this, but sometimes I feel that veterinarians are often in it for the money. I went to a veterinarian here when our old vets moved WAY across town and they, in all seriousness.. tried to vaccinate my 13 (at the time) year old dog for parvo. Really? He's a parvo survivor for one thing, also... WHO vaccinates 13 year old dogs for parvo?

Vets usually have to sedate him to do anything, which scares me soooooo much. If it's not 100% necessary, I don't take him to the vets. Had the treatment not helped him any, back to the vets he'd go! But he's not an itchy monstrosity anymore. Like I said, whatever works for you and your pet is what you should stick with.

I feel the same about diet. Brand, type.. none of that matters. When your dog is bright eyed, bushy tailed, lean, healthy, energetic and happy.. you've found your food. Believing all the hype about certain diets can certainly steer you wrong. Even the highly recommended raw/BARF/prey model diet isn't right for all dogs.

Sorry for chattering so much. You have a good one!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Marmite! People either love it or hate it! In fact some people describe themselves as 'being like Marmite'!

The Aussies have Vegemite - both are a type of Yeast Extract. By product of the brewing industry I think.

My daughter has been eating Marmite on toast every day since she could sit up. She has all sorts of Marmite paraphernalia too. Her love for it being so well known people tend to buy her Marmite things for Xmas and birthdays! Check this out:

http://www.marmiteshop.co.uk/
Yeast extract on toast? Yuck! I've not tried it, but it really sounds horrific. I don't think anything like that is sold in the USA. If so, I wouldn't buy it! Lol.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Hi Sorry didnt read your profile,its a british institution Marmite,lots of people have it on toast,I think its made from the dregs of brewing beer,but it is an acquired taste crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Dregs. Lovely word that (NOT!) lol!

I remember reading Marmite had been banned in some country a while back. Will try to find the report.

Yes MJ I took the same attitude when I was pregnant with my youngest (after a gap of about 11 yrs since the last one) there seemed to be just SO MUCH information being rammed down prospective mother's throats.

I was quite relaxed saying 'Well I've managed to keep two alive for 11 and 13 yrs so I must be doing something right!'

When I moved to Cornwall my daughter was 8 yrs old. The first time I took her to the docs they said they were still waiting on her notes. I told them that what they were holding WAS her notes. She looked incredulous and said 'she's only been to the doctors THREE TIMES in her life?'

Yep - coz she had only been ill enough to require me to take her to a doc three times in her life!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Here you go - it was Denmark that banned Marmite lol!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...n-Denmark.html

The strongly flavoured dark brown spread made from brewer's yeast has joined Rice Crispies, Shreddies, Horlicks and Ovaltine prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as threat to public health.
Many well known breakfast cereal and drink brands have already been banned or taken off supermarket shelves after Danish legislation in 2004 restricted foods fortified with extra vitamins or minerals.
LOL!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi

Sorry its a very hard thing to describe,so when I did an Audit at Whitbreads,they took me through the process,and the left over stff from the hops and yeast is sent to Marmite and Boots for processing.crystalgirl
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2