Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
savannahhhjanee
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2015, 08:32 PM

Transition from an outside to inside dog

Hi everyone! I have a 2.5 year old border collie/lab mix but we think he has pit in him too. He has been an outside dog since he was about 4 or 5 months old, with interaction 2x a day when he is being fed and occasionally has someone go outside and play with him (he is my boyfriend's dog and he didn't realize how big of a time/energy commitment a big dog is). I go to school about an hour away, so when I am home on weekends or about once a week during the summer I take him for walks and to the dog park. He LOVES other dogs and people. My boyfriend lives with his parents and they are ready for the dog to be out of the backyard. I really want to take him to school with me this year, but I'm living in an apartment that won't have space for him to run around all day. I am wondering what the outside to inside transition process is like for high energy dogs, and if it is more beneficial for him to have a big backyard but very little interaction or if it would be better for him to be in a small area all day with 2 long walks a day but have human and other dog interaction consistently. There are several dog parks in the area as well, so any time the weather is nice and I have time I will take him there as well. I love him so much and it would make me so happy to have him with me, but I want what is best for him.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Yikes, where to start.
It all depends on the dog really. You said he's great with other dogs and people but is the same true unsupervised and in close quarters?
Then there is toilet training, I'm guessing he's not if he's only been outside since being a pup. And household noises... Vacs, washing machines, TV, even microwaves, toasters, phones and hair dryers have been known to set dogs off. Moving somewhere new.

I honestly want to say go for it, he sounds like an amazing lovely dogs and you sound like a great owner, but without knowing the dog and any chance of fear, aggression and what failure could mean I don't want to put any pressure on either way.

For me taking him a few weeks early when you can be around pretty much 24/7 and seeing how he does would be really beneficial, with the option of returning him to his garden if any issues are too much to handle.

Good luck and I hope things go great
supaflyskye
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2015, 11:33 PM
The house training will be the biggest issue, but it can be done w time and patience. I think the only way you will know if he transitions well into living in a small space w regular exercise is to give it a try. If it doesn't work out I assume you can return the dog to the backyard?
I think you should at least give it a shot, it sounds like the poor dog would really benefit from some more human interaction.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2015, 12:43 PM
When I took collie in she was 5 years old and been kept chained outside. I wanted her inside and the toilet training was my biggest worry and turned out to be of the least concern! I moved her first into the back porch. And never an accident and in fact she would gather any stray leaves into the corner, keeping house. then gradually into the big kitchen and again, never a worry with toileting. She would wait until we got outside. Never had any issues with eg washing machine or other noises. It was all far easier than I thought it would be.. Go for it..
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2015, 01:08 PM
A couple of points to bear in mind is

If it doesn't work out , will your BF's parents take the dog back?
What will happen to the dog at the end of your school year?
Who will legally own the dog and be responsible for it?

BTW what's the dogs name? he's lucky that he has you to love and care for him.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2015, 11:46 PM
First question, is he neutered? An intact dog at a dog park can be a very bad thing. I'm not speaking for all dogs, but the nastiest fights I witnessed were between intact males. It also depends on the other dogs present. Running off leash can be great fun with the right mix of personalities. But you do have to stay alert. I take Callie up to the dog park sometimes. But I observe the other dogs carefully for a few minutes before we go in. He is a powerful dog and I never want him to think he has to defend himself. If there are too many dogs or some that seem dominant we just walk the trails instead.