Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Mum another fall.

In the rehabilitation hospital this time.

So 29th November if I have remembered rightly fall again at home 6 weeks after previous fall hitting and splitting head open and 3 days after collaborative care pull out of her home breaks two bones in the knee cap in plaster with a special traction device attached for 7 weeks. Very ill over christmas so couldn't go to brothers as planned.

Relocated to Brentwood her home town to the rehabilitation hospital who only last week were trying deperatley to get her home we stick our ground she cannot go to brothers till 1st Feb and at the moment is not safe to go home. I got someone at the top involved so she is staying till then.

Last night I visited she looks quite well but clearly isn't. She says she doesn't feel well and wakes up most mornings feeling ill and yseterday needed and anti sickness jab. I stayed for two hours and explained when she gets home after her stay at Michael's she must have the care now.

10pm Michael rings mum has had a fall ( in the hospital ) and bumped her head. No duty Dr on there so they were having to take her back to Basildon. Mum was teling me no one is allowed to go to the bathroom on their own in case they fall and the floors are hard the bed is to high for her to get in and out on her own so now wondering how this happened. In all honesty if she did it while with someone it wouldn't surprise me.

Surely now they will realise what we have been trying to tell them she is unsafe and they will have to reconsider sending her home to live on her own.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh blimey Lynn, more worries for you and the rest of them. They should now realise she cannot go home. My mum fell when getting out of bed (when they're not supposed to on their own!) and she broke her wrist, so after that, they always pulled up the bars at the sides. Hopefully, they will start doing this with your mum now, if only to keep her safe. Oh deary me, not good news Lynn, try not to worry too much and run yourself ragged yet again. Good luck with her.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Hugs all round. What a nightmare situation for you all. On the one hand, your mum must be desperate to get out of hospital and back to her home comforts and on the other, her family all knowing that going home is the most dangerous course of action for her. Talk about no win situation.

I hope your mum recovers quickly Lynn. You, Gill and your brother must be going out of your minds with worry both about your mum's health and the situation as it stands.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks both.

Not easy knowing where she wants to be but also knowing how unsafe she is. Talk about what do you do for the best.

We all just want the medical profession to step in and say no you need nursing . I know it may well finish her off but this will too and in not such a dignified manner as we would like for her.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
...[snip]...Surely now they will realise what we have been trying to tell them she is unsafe and they will have to reconsider sending her home to live on her own.
I cannot understand how or why anyone was considering sending your Mum home to live on her own when they know that she cannot possibly manage - the proof being the number of falls she has had.

It beggars belief.

Yes, she wants to go home, but how can she when this sort of thing keeps happening?

Big (((hugs))) xx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Really sorry to hear this Lynn. Your poor mum and you and your family, very upsetting for all.x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh blimey Lynn...... are these people dense or what?

How can your poor mum be expected to live her own? She's obviously not capable, and needs 24 hour care IMO.

x0x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I cannot understand how or why anyone was considering sending your Mum home to live on her own when they know that she cannot possibly manage - the proof being the number of falls she has had.

It beggars belief.

Yes, she wants to go home, but how can she when this sort of thing keeps happening?

Big (((hugs))) xx
It's to save money, Social Services tried to send my mother home after she had a massive stroke that left her immobile, incontinent & aggressive ! They told me I would get 4 hours of care a day for her-2 carers for 4 30 minutes visits & inbetween I could look after her & my father. Fortunately the medics were not so keen & insisted on Nursing home care.

Big hugs to you Lynn, lets hope they see sense
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Thank you all for your best wishes.

She is now back at the rehabilitation hospital until the 1st Feb when she will go to Michael's for a short break. What will happen after that I have no idea as she will not be entitled to her 6 weks free collaborative care we will have to reinstate the carers she pays for for when she returns home.

It seems she fell in the bathroom the nurse turned to get something from the cabinet and in that split second she went down. No serious damage this time a bump to the head again.

I know my brothers will push for her to go home and have care there what happens inbetween the carers going in I do not know and quite frankly am fed up of them making every excuse under the sun for her to go home and her pushing to go home.

She will fall again and we will be back down this road again very shortly I expect. Unless something happens at Michael's or he see's just how bad she is and makes the decision for the rest of us.

If she goes home I will help Gill set the carers back up but this is the last time next time she falls the others can do it if she is fortunate enough to survive or get back to her own home again. I have taken a middle seat this time around next time I am sitting right at the back of the bus all the years I have dealt with her all the things I know are wrong with her me knowing who to contact when we need some help to keep her in the hospital a bit longer goes out of the wndow all of a sudden they know best. So on their heads be it this time.

She needs constant nursng now. She is 92 in May can hardly walk keeps falling and says how tired she feels all the time and suffers with this erratic blood pressure which no one seems to be able to control but hey they know better than me.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh for goodness sake, Lynn!! I can't believe how thick they are being over this. Makes as much sense as my Mum being on her own would have, only difference is your Mum keeps trying to walk while my Mum couldn't.

Agree that you should take a back seat if your brothers think it's a good idea for her to go home let them deal with the consequences!!!

Sorry that you are going through this though, no matter how you try to cut off it's still a worry{{{hugs}}}
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >