View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2012, 08:30 AM

How would you feel if your childs school did this??

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Scho...ail/story.html

(i wasnt sure which section to post this in mods :/)

Pro-hunt campaigners have launched a scheme to encourage schools to "adopt" a hound in a bid to popularise the sport ahead of a government vote on the Hunting Act.

Countryside Alliance chiefs issued new advice packs to around 200 hunts with suggestions on how to engage people with hunting

Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Outraged frankly and would oppose it openly. Many here in Ireland were so glad when the UK banned hunting

Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Scho...ail/story.html

(i wasnt sure which section to post this in mods :/)

Pro-hunt campaigners have launched a scheme to encourage schools to "adopt" a hound in a bid to popularise the sport ahead of a government vote on the Hunting Act.

Countryside Alliance chiefs issued new advice packs to around 200 hunts with suggestions on how to engage people with hunting

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I would be outraged
This is propaganda and brainwashing.
Would they also send the school photos of dead and dying foxes.
Grrrrrrrrrr
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I would be outraged
This is propaganda and brainwashing.
Would they also send the school photos of dead and dying foxes.
Grrrrrrrrrr
No, but you can!

" The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable"
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Absolutely disgusting. If that hapenned to my children at school I would really be shouting very loudly.
I went on a hunt once and will neveer forget that poor foxes screams as the hounds ripped it apart. Perhaps they should show this side to the children too to give them a balanced view.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Fortunately I have the current e-mail addresses of every school in England and Wales (primary, middle, secondary, special, independent and public schools). This is because of the work we do when we take dogs into schools to teach kids how to remain safe around them (kids between 4-14 years old mostly, up to 19 for special schools).

knowing how hard it is to get any sort of response to anything from schools in general, I would be surprised if they pull this off tbh.

Now I've read about this I will contact every school with a view to asking them NOT to sign up to such garbage. Of course I won't be sending graphic images or details of anything but will suggest the reality of such a bloodsport and that if a school/staff/head wishes to go forward with this, that they first and foremost contact the parents of every child within their establishment to explain their position. If ANY one parent objects, they should not do this. Of course, if parents don't care, aren't too bothered or don't respond (and I'm sure there are schools with kids who have parents who couldn't care less because hunting isn't on their doorstep) then schools may not see any harm in it.

There's no way on earth I would allow my Son to visit the kennels of a hunt. We have dogs at home. Our family and friends have dogs. He doesn't need to pretend to support hunting (whether through genuine intention or naivety) by meeting hounds. Aside from that, I will NOT have my Son USED to promote something I'm so against and I'm sure he'd be against it too if he knew exactly what goes on.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi Jo it looks like a publicity stunt to me and I think it very unlikely this suggestion (and it is only a suggestion as far as I can see ) would ever be adopted .

What would I do if if was a parent in that area, probably get together with some local rescues and make my own counter suggestion
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I live in the countryside, have a smallholding and have been on the receiving end of losses by foxes and seen the havoc they can wreak on livestock first hand so I can quite understand the need for control, but in a humane way.

Despite the fact I've lost geese and lambs to foxes and they are the main reason I don't keep chickens, I wouldn't enjoy the sight of a fox torn to bits by bloodthirsty hounds, and some of the hunt people can be extremely arrogant in their pursuit of them.

Political stuff like this doesn't belong in schools and it's a pathetic attempt to gain approval.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I am certainly against this needless propaganda to enter schools. In my view it is totally wrong . Although there may be a lot of support in schools in the countryside whose families have hunted for generations. Of course, children would like to 'adopt' a hound, which animal loving child wouldn't want to . I wouldn't imagine photos of ripped apart foxes would also be shown to the same schools

This thread is really controversial and I am quite sure there will be a number of members here who are pro-hunting. There is a lot of discussion for and against. I'm not mentioning which side I fall on but: The countryside and towns are now over run with foxes which are spreading mange and killing so many animals and of course, garden pets (rabbits, guinea-pigs) and also cats (of which 2 were killed a few doors down from me by 3 foxes). Certainly where I live on a residential estate we are literally overrun with them and they raid rubbish bins in broad day light. A lot of people lost their jobs when hunting was banned and many foxhounds were destroyed as apparently they do not make suitable family pets once they have hunted ..... which is hardly surprising. I gather drag hunting is now very popular which is great as it still gives the hounds and horse riders their 'hunting' fix.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
I am certainly against this needless propaganda to enter schools. In my view it is totally wrong . Although there may be a lot of support in schools in the countryside whose families have hunted for generations. Of course, children would like to 'adopt' a hound, which animal loving child wouldn't want to . I wouldn't imagine photos of ripped apart foxes would also be shown to the same schools

This thread is really controversial and I am quite sure there will be a number of members here who are pro-hunting. There is a lot of discussion for and against. I'm not mentioning which side I fall on but: The countryside and towns are now over run with foxes which are spreading mange and killing so many animals and of course, garden pets (rabbits, guinea-pigs) and also cats (of which 2 were killed a few doors down from me by 3 foxes). Certainly where I live on a residential estate we are literally overrun with them and they raid rubbish bins in broad day light. A lot of people lost their jobs when hunting was banned and many foxhounds were destroyed as apparently they do not make suitable family pets once they have hunted ..... which is hardly surprising. I gather drag hunting is now very popular which is great as it still gives the hounds and horse riders their 'hunting' fix.
Of course there has to be control. As with rats etc and in many areas here, with mink released by animal rights campagners against fur farming which was finally banned through reasonable appeals.

But humane and not this blood lust. Which is what hunting is about at base.

The argument of job losses carries less weight as we are adaptable; to continue something that is wrong to pay folk is very dubious...

We have drag hunting here too; I was near a kennels and met the hounds, so well cared for. They need care to adapt to house living and of course the country is flooded with adult unwanted dogs. The parallel here is greyhounds of course.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >