View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Here is my example of what I believe to be more relevant that likes or dislikes, if you go out for a meal and order your favourite dish and someone slaps you, and if this continues every time you order that meal, you will soon learn, to think of your favourite dish and associate it with said slap and either become nervous at the thought or avoid even ordering it
Thanks emma, I think that is a good example of how operant theory is misunderstood.

Operant learning explains how any animal learns because of the consequences of its own behaviour, learning will usually have occurred within 3 repetitions of the same consequence under similar circumstances.

If I/anyone went into a restaurant & waited a few mins and then ‘ordered’ the food and at that point you got slapped, you would have learned that your own behaviour of ‘ordering’ the food would cause you to be slapped, it would ‘weaken’ your own behaviour of ordering that food under other similar circumstances to ‘avoid’ the positive punishment of being slapped.

The stimulus perceived causing the slap would be that your own behaviour of ‘ordering’ the food (the point you got a slap) caused the slap not the food itself, that’s the misunderstanding.
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:36 AM
I read Skinner years ago wisiwig, what I am repeating his operant learning theory originated in his behaviour of organisms 1938 & other writings of his and what he tought.

This (below) from that site link you gave is not a part of operant learning theory, it does not make it clear at all thatthe animals behaviour causes a consequence, it would mislead many readers, is the site anything to do with some commercial concern or other?

Something Good can start or be presented, so behavior increases = Positive Reinforcement (R+)
Something Good can end or be taken away, so behavior decreases = Negative Punishment (P-)
Something Bad can start or be presented, so behavior decreases = Positive Punishment (P+)
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:40 AM
You could also say that the pleasure has been learnt via positive reinforcement
The positive reinforcer cannot be a base/foundation of learning, simply not possible.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Nikie View Post
Example, if you go out for a meal you will be avoiding many hundreds of food dishes you learned you did not enjoy at some point. Because of past learning you can go out and enjoy what you like and avoid things you know you do not like, pleasure seeking behaviours originate in learned avoidance behaviour, because that has been learned through operants most adults enjoy a night out instead of ordering food they suddenly find they do not like, the same applies to all species, not just dogs.
so how does that apply to dog training then?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I read Skinner years ago wisiwig, what I am repeating his operant learning theory originated in his behaviour of organisms 1938 & other writings of his and what he tought.
The way you describe it though seems to be coloured alot by your own ideas. Perhaps it's just the way it comes across, not sure...

The positive reinforcer cannot be a base/foundation of learning, simply not possible.
If you are suggesting that an animal cannot learn via positive reinforcement, I'd say you are quite wrong.

This (below) from that site link you gave is not a part of operant learning theory, it does not make it clear at all thatthe animals behaviour causes a consequence, it would mislead many readers, is the site anything to do with some commercial concern or other?
I thought you sounded a lot like Denis Carthy on your first post - you sound more like him now ...

Whatever, you've just shown that your posts cannot be taken seriously!
Something Good can start or be presented, so behavior increases = Positive Reinforcement (R+)
Something Good can end or be taken away, so behavior decreases = Negative Punishment (P-)
Something Bad can start or be presented, so behavior decreases = Positive Punishment (P+)
I don't really get what you mean anyway, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just put nice and simply. Sorry.

(but if you are DC, not sorry )
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 08:05 AM
deleted .........
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 08:46 AM
If you are suggesting that an animal cannot learn via positive reinforcement, I'd say you are quite wrong.
On the contrary, if any behaviour is likely to strengthen a reinforcer must occur, that is what reinforced means. The context I said that in was emmas slap example which was a positive punisher example (weakens any behaviour). Positive & negative punishers work by suppressing behaviours, the individual animal then works/behaves in ways which reduce the threat of any punishment, e.g. stopping at red lights avoids the threat of punishment, driving safely in general avoids the threat of punishments but the threat is the foundation/base for the avoidence behaviours not a positive reinforcer.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Nikie can you tell me why if I do a search using quotes taken from your posts I am taken to sites where the identical words are being written by someone posting links to Denis Carthy's videos ?
Nikie
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Nikie can you tell me why if I do search using quotes taken from your posts I am taken to sites where the identical words are being written by someone posting links to Denis Carthy's videos ?
LOL no I can't tell you, you should be typing b f skinner in google, you might also get some of his works from ebay, he is after all one of the most read behaviourists.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks emma, I think that is a good example of how operant theory is misunderstood.

Operant learning explains how any animal learns because of the consequences of its own behaviour, learning will usually have occurred within 3 repetitions of the same consequence under similar circumstances.

If I/anyone went into a restaurant & waited a few mins and then ‘ordered’ the food and at that point you got slapped, you would have learned that your own behaviour of ‘ordering’ the food would cause you to be slapped, it would ‘weaken’ your own behaviour of ordering that food under other similar circumstances to ‘avoid’ the positive punishment of being slapped.

The stimulus perceived causing the slap would be that your own behaviour of ‘ordering’ the food (the point you got a slap) caused the slap not the food itself, that’s the misunderstanding.
Nikie, you fail to see the point, the slap is still a painful stimuli, so by saying the slap is appropriate you would be saying it is okay to physically hit your dog.
That is what I believe e-collars physically hurt and even if they stop the behaviour the means was not justified.
You might want to look at what Wysiwyg said in regards to my comment, she is going to slap me back and run off with the food............not all people are going to react the same and when hurt may hurt back
Page 31 of 77 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 41 > Last »