View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 02:47 PM
just says alot about what kind of parents they are really doesnt it ??

Havign a dog aggressive staffie myself I cannot believe they allow a 12 yr old girl to be in control of it.

I dont actually think that any child should be responsible for a dog of that stature or any dog really not at that age and not at a training class.

As part of our rescue conditions we state that we will not allow any person under the age of 16 to be walking the rehomed dog without supervision. If they break this then we can actually take the dog back.

Just think its highly irresponsible, even if it was the best behaved dog in the world, what if it met one that wasnt and a fight occured - how would the child deal with that. Its just not fair.

I think I would be getting the club to speak to the dog warden and the parents. The dog obviously could benefit from training as could the parents

The only good thing in that story is that the girl wants to teach the dog... sadly with parents like that then this dog will inevitably end up in rescue before long I would think.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
just says alot about what kind of parents they are really doesnt it ??

Havign a dog aggressive staffie myself I cannot believe they allow a 12 yr old girl to be in control of it.

I dont actually think that any child should be responsible for a dog of that stature or any dog really not at that age and not at a training class.

As part of our rescue conditions we state that we will not allow any person under the age of 16 to be walking the rehomed dog without supervision. If they break this then we can actually take the dog back.

Just think its highly irresponsible, even if it was the best behaved dog in the world, what if it met one that wasnt and a fight occured - how would the child deal with that. Its just not fair.

I think I would be getting the club to speak to the dog warden and the parents. The dog obviously could benefit from training as could the parents

The only good thing in that story is that the girl wants to teach the dog... sadly with parents like that then this dog will inevitably end up in rescue before long I would think.
I was told when we took on Dougal that it was law that a child under 16 was not allowed to walk a staffie unsupervised.

Can't believe anyone who knows their dog is dog-aggressive would allow a 12 year old wee lassie to take it to somewhere there is loads of dogs. What idiots! It's the poor lassie that has to suffer if anything goes wrong.
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I was told when we took on Dougal that it was law that a child under 16 was not allowed to walk a staffie unsupervised.
That's rubbish!

It is worth noting that a child under 16 cannot legally own a dog, for the purposes of the DDA only the legal owner (the parent) would be taken to court, the minor cannot be held responsible.

I do think her coming to training is better than no-one coming and the dog being left as it is. There are plenty of junior handlers who show at crufts at age 10 and under.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 04:51 PM
So glad no people or dogs were hurt - an accident waiting to happen. I wonder whether the parents are embarrassed? At least they've asked the girl to go to training - a first step, but I agree, they've gone about it in completely the wrong way. I reckon the club should try and contact the parents (if that's possible) - say they're willing to help, but they need an adult to be there to ensure the dog is properly controlled, and give them a shopping list of things to bring: harness, muzzle, treats etc. Then at least the club's done all it can.
Thornesstaf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Severe words were had with the mother over the phone but she didnt seem to give a hoot. I have 2 staffs myself and even though they are fine with people and dogs, I wouldnt dream of letting my 13 year old walk them. I wouldnt put them in the position to have to deal with the possiblility that they could get attacked or attack another dog. I wouldnt do that to my kids and wouldnt risk losing my dogs. I really do despair sometimes.
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 07:37 PM
That's disgraceful! i'd never let my daughter walk a dog on her own it's just so irresponsible the parents should be ashamed of themselves.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I stopped going to my ringcraft classes when a young child was coming each week and handling a dalmatian which just dragged her about. I am all for child handling but not with a dog that is too big for them.

What on earth were the parents thinking of allowing a child to take an aggressive dog training on her own.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Petrina View Post
That's rubbish!

It is worth noting that a child under 16 cannot legally own a dog, for the purposes of the DDA only the legal owner (the parent) would be taken to court, the minor cannot be held responsible.

I do think her coming to training is better than no-one coming and the dog being left as it is. There are plenty of junior handlers who show at crufts at age 10 and under.
its not a law but as Dougal came from staffie rescue it is our rules.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2