Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
OliOliOli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Oli's new crate ~ Day 1

Well after 3 weeks of my Pom Oli driving us all nuts by performing his great escapes through the usless babygate I finally gave in and ordered a crate... it arrived yesterday.
Today is Oli's first visit to his crate

He was quite ok with entering as he sleeps in a travel kennel at night in our room (last night was the first night I zipped up the flap).. all went ok apart from oli being sick early hours... quickly cleaned up. He is a clean boy at night but scouts around for my bits of pj's, socks or other bits I might drop on the floor and take them to his bed for a major chew fest

Anyway he has shown a few different actions in his crate this morning...
Firstly he bounced all over it as i closed the door biting at the sides and displaying real signs of distress.. then he went on a chewing frenzy with his toys and chews... next he settled down and performed a few half hearted yaps that hes just learnt... now he has given up and gone to sleep

Small victory for me... for half hour anyway
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by OliOliOli View Post
Well after 3 weeks of my Pom Oli driving us all nuts by performing his great escapes through the usless babygate I finally gave in and ordered a crate... it arrived yesterday.
Today is Oli's first visit to his crate

He was quite ok with entering as he sleeps in a travel kennel at night in our room (last night was the first night I zipped up the flap).. all went ok apart from oli being sick early hours... quickly cleaned up. He is a clean boy at night but scouts around for my bits of pj's, socks or other bits I might drop on the floor and take them to his bed for a major chew fest

Anyway he has shown a few different actions in his crate this morning...
Firstly he bounced all over it as i closed the door biting at the sides and displaying real signs of distress.. then he went on a chewing frenzy with his toys and chews... next he settled down and performed a few half hearted yaps that hes just learnt... now he has given up and gone to sleep

Small victory for me... for half hour anyway
Im sure he will settle down after a while getting used to his crate. We bought a crate for Honey as she was destroying the house, we have just now for the last 5 weeks left her out when we are at work, all she has done is have a scratch at carpet. so far so good.
OliOliOli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 10:40 AM
He is still in there.. asleep, or pretending to be.. as soon as I move and leave the room he is up and whimpering... poor lad.
He just seems to have taken over the house though.. although he is not destructive just free and easy with his toilet... oh and he seems to delight in chasing one of the cats..
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by OliOliOli View Post
He is still in there.. asleep, or pretending to be.. as soon as I move and leave the room he is up and whimpering... poor lad.
He just seems to have taken over the house though.. although he is not destructive just free and easy with his toilet... oh and he seems to delight in chasing one of the cats..
It is funny when they pretend to be asleep, dont give in to him, just ignore his wimpering, its hard i done it but it does work. How old his Oli?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Bless him, I'm sure he will eventually get used to it and love his own little place.
Its going to give puss a rest anyway!
laura1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 10:48 AM
He'll get used to it just start as you mean to go on. Max had a crate until he was just over a year. Never had one thing destroyed in the house and we knew he was safe when we couldn't be at home. I work nights and hubby works days so we are luckier than most in him never being left long anyway. Now my crate lives at my non doggy loving parents house so when he is there with us we know he won't get up to naughties while we're asleep. He seems happy in it up there because he still recognises it as his bed and I guess it's nice to have something familiar in a strange place . At the mum in laws he still has it but we don't bother closing the door, he still goes in there for a doze so he must like it!
OliOliOli
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Oli is 12 weeks.. had him 3 weeks now.. id say he isnt destructive but hes sat tearing up the newspaper as I type but thats fine... he just loves squatting on freshly washed floors.... not so fine...
He is loving is crate..after his lock-in this morning he was still in and out most of the day and retreats off in there with his toys so i dont think ill have much problems with it.. its just when the door closes behind him he protests...