View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 04:56 PM
How`s it going? My Oldie has rallied again - has yours? My vet says put him down, but while he wags his tail at my touch, demolishes his breakfast and dinner, and potters round getting underfoot, I don`t feel it`s time. With all my others, I just knew when they`d had enough , but these stubborn and courageous old dears are the devil, aren`t they?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
How`s it going? My Oldie has rallied again - has yours? My vet says put him down, but while he wags his tail at my touch, demolishes his breakfast and dinner, and potters round getting underfoot, I don`t feel it`s time. With all my others, I just knew when they`d had enough , but these stubborn and courageous old dears are the devil, aren`t they?
Oh Claire i'm sorry to hear that, Sadie is doing well, she's been good, we were so worried at the weekend but she's picked up a lot more in the week, she is at the vets friday, just really quite anxious now and wondering exactly how much she has lost in the fortnight since she was last there. Fingers crossed. She's here tomorrow night so i'll let her sleep up on my bed with me. And yes, she is INCREDIBLY stubborn, always has been but boy oh boy in her old age has she became such a stubborn old lady! I know how you are feeling. x
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:16 PM
My thoughts are you will definately know the right time, if a dog can no longer enjoy rolling in grass, if a dog no longer wants to go for walks, if a dog no longer can wagg its tail, if the dog is losing interest in the things that normally gave pleasure, if the dog gives you that look that says mum I have had enough, then that is the time. its a heartbreaking thing to do, one of the hardest for you to do, but also one of the kindest. looking at those picutes althoughshe is really thin, she looks like she is enjoying life even at a more sedatory pace, I am sorry you are in this situation, and my heart goes out to you and your family.

mo
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gellygoo View Post
Just want to say that I'm thinking of the lovely Sadie,nothing to add to what's already been said... hugs to you all.
Thank you so much, it's really appreciated. x

Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
This is such a hard thing to go through! I lost both of my childhood cats and both dogs within 2 years of eachother, that was soooo hard, but each and every one let me know when it was time. tho my last one, Patches, I waited too long. purely selfish reasons that I totally regret. I didn't want to put her down at Christmas.

We're thinking of you and Sadie
Thank you for thinking of us and for your support, I lost 4 cats in 2 years and it was so dreadful but I have never had to make the horrible decision to put an animal to sleep.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
big (((hugs))) from me and licks from jake, to both you and sadie.

im not much help, i havent been through this either. but from what you have said, she definitely sounds like she is still enjoying life and im sure she will tell you when she isnt. i think we all get to know our dogs extremely well, inside and out, and we know when its time...
Thank you for your kinds words, she is still having a good time when she has the energy to do so, she's still a bit of a minx. x

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
When a dog can no longer eat,
When a dog is in constant pain and there can be no relief,
When living holds no pleasure at all,
these are the things that tell you it is time to let a dog go.

There have been times when I have been tempted to keep a dog going because I couldn't bear the though of losing it . Each time I have considered the things I have mentioned and that helped me to decide what was best for the dog ...

Sadie looks as though she may not be ready to leave just yet..
Thank you Mini, those points have really helped and as none yet apply I feel more confident that she has some time left with us.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
My thoughts are you will definately know the right time, if a dog can no longer enjoy rolling in grass, if a dog no longer wants to go for walks, if a dog no longer can wagg its tail, if the dog is losing interest in the things that normally gave pleasure, if the dog gives you that look that says mum I have had enough, then that is the time. its a heartbreaking thing to do, one of the hardest for you to do, but also one of the kindest. looking at those picutes althoughshe is really thin, she looks like she is enjoying life even at a more sedatory pace, I am sorry you are in this situation, and my heart goes out to you and your family.

mo
Thank you mo, it's just really disturbing to see her how she is but when you look at the other aspects she is still having quality of life, but she just looks so poorly.
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:37 PM
HI

Such a sad time for you, you have my thoughts.

When the glint in her eye leaves her look into them and she will tell you she is ready.

Take Care x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
Hey Kel,
I am going through this with Scratch and I wonder if I am doing the right thing so often, but like Sadie, he seems pretty good in himself most days and he is sleeping lots but loves his walks and wants to play for little bits through the day.
I wonder sometimes if I would see it if it was time, I have asked my O/H and my vet to let me know when they think it is time in case I don't see it as I know my heart wants him here for a long time to come but I dont know how long I have him for as he goes up and down quite a bit.
I think he will tell me when he is ready too, as she is a strong willed dog and will see when the fight has gone out of him.
I have shed a lot of tears and have felt so disheartened at times, it is so draining and worrying.
I know this more than likely doesn't help but I know how you feel (in the closest way I can as we are all different) but know I am thinking of you and Sadie.
Big hugs to you both from across the oceans
Emma
Thank you Emma, it does help because I know i'm not mad as I feel exactly the same and i'm sure for you too it is comforting, because Scratch sounds like Sadie to have good days and bad, and when it's bad you can't help but wonder if it's time, sometimes she just sleeps all day, but when it's good and she's chasing and rolling about then you think no it's not time and it's so draining to be up and down all the time and you just don't know where your head is. And all the while trying to spend as much quality time as you can with them as the future is uncertain and also trying to do everything else in your life and just cope. I too, know how you feel, and all the best to you and Scratch and your family. x

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
(((hugs))) to you.
try not to be guided by what she 'looks' like,be guided by 'her'
take care.xx
Thank you, this is what I keep telling myself (and my mum) but it's so hard when she's like a walking skeleton and losing weight so fast. But she is happy in herself, I know this when I think about it, it's just sometimes hard to see past what she looks like, you are right. x

Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
All our love to help you through!!
Thank you very much. x

Originally Posted by hades View Post
So sorry to hear this,
It is such a hard and heart breaking thing to think about and go through. I agree with everyone else, you will know in your heart when the time comes.
All the best to both of you and keep us posted.
Thank you for your support, I will keep you all updated.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
So sorry to read this Kel, I'm sure if she is enjoying her food and life in general then its not her time yet. As you say she is not in pain, and she is managing to do her roly poly's, I suspect the vet will tell you that, apart from the malabsorbtion problem, that she isn't quite ready yet.

I know that each time I have had to take one of mine for that final appointment at the vets they have let me know, the look in their eye is enough.

I truly hope that you have more time with your darling girl. xxx
Thank you Sheree, you are exactly right, apart from that she is fine and as I said, if not for the weight loss we wouldn't even be thinking this, but she's so thin, it's breaking our hearts because there's nothing we can do to stop the malabsorption, the steroids were always going to stop working but we never knew it would be so soon.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by alady?? View Post
HI

Such a sad time for you, you have my thoughts.

When the glint in her eye leaves her look into them and she will tell you she is ready.

Take Care x
Thank you for thinking of us, she still has a sparkle in her eye and a cheeky look, life in the old dog yet as they say.

I honestly do feel a lot better about her after posting this thread thanks to everyone here. x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
If you're not sure, be guided by your vet.

I was 90% sure it was time for Roxy - Dean just confirmed it......

Hugs honey - it's a very sad time xxx
Thank you Vicki, I will post what the vet says on friday as she looks much worse than when she was there a fortnight ago, so clearly the steroids are not working now as we were warned would happen.

Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
i agree. you won't miss it. she will let you know and by the sounds of it, she isn't saying it yet. she's beautiful. hugs to you and your mum. xx
Thank you for your kind words, she is such a special lady, she is slow but she is relaxed and happy and she has her moments still.

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Oh Kel, sorry to hear you are going through this.

I think the time is right when you know your dog has no quality of life. If they are just existing and not living their lives, that's when you know.

I do hope you have many more good days with her yet. Gently hugs to Sadie, stay strong Kel xxxxxx
Thank you AM, I hope so too, she will appreciate a nice hug and a bum scratch too. She does still back up onto your lap for a bum scratch as she has always done!

Originally Posted by Harvey's Mum View Post
I can only agree you will know when the time is right .....she will let you know, I had to make the decision twice in a year and though it hurt like hell, they let me know and it was the right thing to do for them, Just be there for her and love her as you do....she looks beautiful xxx

sending HUGS x
Thank you for your support and your lovely comments on Sadie, I still think she is just so beautiful, she is our baby. x

Originally Posted by Lou View Post
My old boy went the same He went so skinny......

You'll just know in your heart when the time is right.

I'm so sorry, your pictures have made me cry......Thinking of you Hun x
I'm sorry the pictures upset you, but she really has no idea she is so thin, apart from less energy, it's just so sad to her like this. Thank you for your kind thoughts. x

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I've only had to do it once a long time ago, probably not much older than you and I didn't handle it too well.

First of all be guided by your vet, they will (or should) know how she is coping, it might be that she'll stabilise at a much lower weight.

Secondly, unlike myself, I would suggest you try to prepare for the time whenever it comes, I think others on here are better qualified to talk about that.

Thirdly, she will 'tell you' in some way, it might be the look in her eyes, or her actions, I've always thought your posts show tremendous good sense and I'm pretty sure you'll know what you have to do.
Thank you so much and your post as ever is so very supportive and helpful to me, I would like to think I will know when she tells me but I suppose as is just natural because I love her so very much and I don't want her to suffer, I really don't want to let her down so I have been doubting myself as I have never had to do this before and my mum has asked me because she doesn't think she will know either.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hi kel,

she does look very skinny but she also looks happy and still with life in her eyes.

Hopefully the vet can give you some guidance. But I also believe you will know when she wants to go. she will let you know.

hugs
dani
Thank you Dani for your support, she still does look happy and she does still enjoy her walks and rolling about in goodness only knows what! I feel a bit silly now making a fuss but I suppose it took this to help me get over what she looks like now and look how she is actually still enjoying her life despite that.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4