View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:13 PM
oh Kel, you are having such a time of it at the moment.

The first half of your post, I thought 'it sounds like its time now' but then when I read that she's still cheeky and chasing the cat, I thought, no its not.

She does look thin in those photos, but I bet she was is no thinner there than Tip after his first couple of weeks here (just less obvious on him because of his coat) and he had plenty of energy.

You will be guided by her and by your vet. With Halibut our cat and Kip when the time was right we knew we didn't have any other choice.

big hugs to you, it is heart wrenching watching them go down hill - the only horrible thing about sharing our lives with them.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Those pics remind me so much of my boy (he's a lurcher-type mutt) - he is suspected to have inflammatory bowel disease and is having weight issues. You can see all his bones at the moment too.

I'm sure she'll let you know when the time is right, you won't miss it.

*hugs* take care
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Huge hugs Kel

I havnt had to face that yet but I believe the others are right, at that age they will tell you or you will see it in their eyes, that spark will fade then go, so my advice is if there is no suffering or pain then as long as that spark shines then they are happy to go on.

More hugs xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I`m in the same situation with Laddie. I decide it`s time, then he suddenly has a good day. There`s nothing you can do or anyone can say to make it easier. It`s just the last kind act you have to do for them. Hang on in there.
x
claire
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh Kel, sorry to hear you are going through this.

I think the time is right when you know your dog has no quality of life. If they are just existing and not living their lives, that's when you know.

I do hope you have many more good days with her yet. Gently hugs to Sadie, stay strong Kel xxxxxx
Harvey's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I can only agree you will know when the time is right .....she will let you know, I had to make the decision twice in a year and though it hurt like hell, they let me know and it was the right thing to do for them, Just be there for her and love her as you do....she looks beautiful xxx

sending HUGS x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
kel, you have a good instinct with dogs, you will know,

sending big hugs xx
Thanks Shona, I hope so. x

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh Kel, you are having such a time of it at the moment.

The first half of your post, I thought 'it sounds like its time now' but then when I read that she's still cheeky and chasing the cat, I thought, no its not.

She does look thin in those photos, but I bet she was is no thinner there than Tip after his first couple of weeks here (just less obvious on him because of his coat) and he had plenty of energy.

You will be guided by her and by your vet. With Halibut our cat and Kip when the time was right we knew we didn't have any other choice.

big hugs to you, it is heart wrenching watching them go down hill - the only horrible thing about sharing our lives with them.
Thanks Fiona. She has some bad days but she has a lot of good days too, but the bad days are only she's too tired to do anything really, I just have to thank God she's not in any pain.

Originally Posted by Aligord View Post
Those pics remind me so much of my boy (he's a lurcher-type mutt) - he is suspected to have inflammatory bowel disease and is having weight issues. You can see all his bones at the moment too.

I'm sure she'll let you know when the time is right, you won't miss it.

*hugs* take care
Thank you, i'm so sorry your boy is a worry to, it breaks my heart seeing her like that. Makes it worse when people just stare at her when we are out.

Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Huge hugs Kel

I havnt had to face that yet but I believe the others are right, at that age they will tell you or you will see it in their eyes, that spark will fade then go, so my advice is if there is no suffering or pain then as long as that spark shines then they are happy to go on.

More hugs xx
Thank you, hopefull she has a some time left with us. x

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m in the same situation with Laddie. I decide it`s time, then he suddenly has a good day. There`s nothing you can do or anyone can say to make it easier. It`s just the last kind act you have to do for them. Hang on in there.
x
claire
Thanks Claire, i'm so sorry you are going through it too but I know exactly how you feel.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:06 PM
My old boy went the same He went so skinny......

You'll just know in your heart when the time is right.

I'm so sorry, your pictures have made me cry......Thinking of you Hun x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Will see what the vet says and if they think we need to come in any sooner, i'm not even sure she'll make her birthday, 17th December, she will be 12.
I've only had to do it once a long time ago, probably not much older than you and I didn't handle it too well.

First of all be guided by your vet, they will (or should) know how she is coping, it might be that she'll stabilise at a much lower weight.

Secondly, unlike myself, I would suggest you try to prepare for the time whenever it comes, I think others on here are better qualified to talk about that.

Thirdly, she will 'tell you' in some way, it might be the look in her eyes, or her actions, I've always thought your posts show tremendous good sense and I'm pretty sure you'll know what you have to do.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:59 PM
hi kel,

she does look very skinny but she also looks happy and still with life in her eyes.

Hopefully the vet can give you some guidance. But I also believe you will know when she wants to go. she will let you know.

hugs
dani
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >