Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:37 PM

How do you know when to say goodbye?

I know this has been asked time and time again, but I have never had to do it yet. Sadie is really poorly, she is due back at the vets on Friday but she's lost so much weight in just a week I have told my mum to try and get her back in asap. She looks dreadful, I took some pics today on my mobile but tbh i'm not even sure about posting them. She has IBS, and is on steroids, she is eating as much as normal but she's just losing weight on a daily basis, you can see every bone in her body, I hadn't seen her for a few days and today I was nearly sick. She has so little muscle on her thighs now her back legs are no picking up properly when she walks.

Thing is, she's happy in herself, she's not in any pain, she's tired all the time but she's old and ill, she still likes to chase the neighbours rabbit when it gets in the garden, if not for her weight we wouldn't even be contemplating it, but she is so so thin.

Will see what the vet says and if they think we need to come in any sooner, i'm not even sure she'll make her birthday, 17th December, she will be 12.

I'm just uploading the pics I took today, she actually looks better in them than she looks in the flesh as they are only from my mobile but the still might upset, they upset me anyway.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:40 PM
This answer isn't going to help, but you will know when it is the right time. When you are at the vets, you have to sum everything up. You will know

*big hugs*
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
This answer isn't going to help, but you will know when it is the right time. When you are at the vets, you have to sum everything up. You will know

*big hugs*
Thank you. I can't even look at her without crying, I just feel totally sick all the time. I just keep thinking what if I miss it, what if she tells us and we miss it.

Will see what vets say I guess.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:43 PM
You will know, she will let you know somehow that she is tired and has had enough.

Sending thoughts.

rune
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:45 PM
As everyone has said, you know yourself when its the right time...
Thoughts and Hugs with you....xx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:48 PM
This is her tonight, I told my mum i'd take the good camera round and take some nice pics of her, just incase. So sad even to think that.

Having a roll about:

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:48 PM
If you're not sure, be guided by your vet.

I was 90% sure it was time for Roxy - Dean just confirmed it......

Hugs honey - it's a very sad time xxx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:50 PM
i agree. you won't miss it. she will let you know and by the sounds of it, she isn't saying it yet. she's beautiful. hugs to you and your mum. xx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You will know, she will let you know somehow that she is tired and has had enough.

Sending thoughts.

rune
Originally Posted by Moli View Post
As everyone has said, you know yourself when its the right time...
Thoughts and Hugs with you....xx
Thank you both, she still has a wee cheeky glint in her eye, if we could just get her to put some weight on but the vet said basically the steroids are her last chance and they would eventually stop working, so don't know what else we can do?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 07:12 PM
kel, you have a good instinct with dogs, you will know,

sending big hugs xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >