Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by beau View Post
For people with children would you recommend a rescue, we would like to go down that route but wonder if it would be better to get a pup.
i got a pup from a rescue for that very reason, my niece and nephew are round at my house everyday so had to be a dog thats good with kids. jake was 7 weeks when i got him, and i had been looking at an 18month old staffy cross. she was gorgeous and good with kids. but the staff suggested one of the pups would be better, coz they could all grown up with each other. he is now 7 months and they all adore each other.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
For people with children would you recommend a rescue, we would like to go down that route but wonder if it would be better to get a pup.
Yes, but I would be more cautious about the rescue I went to and the particular dog chosen.

My dogs have had either no history, or what has been known hasn't been good. That was fine for me, but if I'd had children to consider I would probably have wanted more background.

There are plenty of adult dogs in rescue that are super dogs but have had to go into rescue through no fault of their own - e.g. their owner has died.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
My three are from breeders. Although I have rescued other animals (my 1-year-old black moggy is a rescue), I have never had a rescue dog. I wouldn't rule it out though. It would depend on what I wanted at the time. I have much admiration for many purebreds (mostly gundog types) and prefer my dogs from pups. So, I guess that is why I have gone down the breeder route as a 'know' what I am getting.

I'd definitely consider a rescue pup in the future. I'd also like to take on a young adolescent Lab one day as there are so many in rescue.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-10-2009, 11:41 AM
My current BC is a rescue. My next will come from a known ISDS line as I want a dog that I can trial. If I wanted another companion or potential stock dog i would go to a rescue but very probably a BC rescue.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I wanted a Boxer, and although there are many rescue Boxers, having 2 dogs and 5 cats, plus I foster kittens, needed a pup to be able to introduce it to my exsisiting animals...Not so easy with an adult dog......

My first 2 Staffies were rescues................
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
And you never know what might happen when you visit rescues on a saturday with a nice house to take the dogs home to ey? [/QUOTE]
thats wot happened to me with talia lol mind i was looking for a bout a yr just din't tell hubby untill i saw her and had to introduce her to tux and she is fab xx probs rescue all the way for me now.. but never say never xxx
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes as long as the rescue has history of the dog living with kids, there is no reason why you shouldn't rehome a dog.

Believe it or not, even though i work in springer rescue our next one will be a pup from a reputable gundog breeder as it will be an out and out working dog
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Rescue, every time.

Too many dogs are dying through no fault of their own.
I can't help them all, but I can make a big difference to one.
I firmly believe the "until there's none, rescue one"
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I firmly believe the "until there's none, rescue one"

I agree with that sentiment entirely. But, are we doing enough to cure the problem as opposed to trying to cure the result? The ideal will be when there is no need for a rescue (never happen I know) but are we doing enough to reduce the number of dogs that need rescuing in the first place? I don't know: what do you think?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
We have both but i do think it depends on what your want. If its just to be a companion or pet and your just want a dog then i would say rescue.

However if you have other dogs or kids to consider you have to go with whats best for them over all. Also if you want a very specific breed and plan to show ect then i would say breeder.
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »