View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 11:43 AM

Tamaskan/Utonagan/Northern Inuit - what is the difference?

Ok.

Now. I don't want to start a fight, I am aware this is a topic close to many people's hearts! I would like to learn something as I am a little confused!

Having been reading the recent posts on the Tamascan Dog I decided to look on the internet.

I have noticed comments made in the past about Utonagans and Inuits being different, different society etc etc.

Now. From what I gather, they are all the same??!

I have read that Northern Inuits were bred, then some people changed the name to Utonagan. Now the Utonagan society has closed and they are now Tamascan Dogs??

Is this so - are they all basically of the same breeding? Or is there some difference I am not aware of?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
This is how I have tried to put the peices together...if any is wrong I KNOW it will be corrected!!

It all started some 18 to 20 yrs ago, to create a dog that resembled the wolf as much as possible, in looks and in health but with a great friendly and easy going temperament. At first the dogs had no name...a name would come later.

The first name to be given was Northern Inuit Dog...and an official society was formed...after a while different breeders had different ideas as to the ideal dog they were trying to produce, differences of opinions started to form and friction became apparent and a couple few people left or were asked to leave? the Northern Inuit Society...

They went with the dogs they had already from the breeding's so far changed the name to Utonagan and carried on breeding but apparently this is where the Northern Inuit Dog and Utonagan starts to differ...

The Northern Inuit Dog was now only being bred to other Northern Inuit Dogs and no further crossings where as the original Utonagan folk dipped back in to an earlier pool of dogs and re-introduced dogs that had been used at the beginning and introduced new ones alike (apparently)

So the Northern Inuit Dogs and Utonagan's were now a separate entity with the NI society and the newly formed Ute society heading in different directions with different ideas as to what the dogs should be in there eyes.

In the beginning there was just one Utonagan society and a similar thing happened with their society as it did with the Northern Inuit Dog society...Friction between breeders and personal opinions differed and again there was a split...and then there were two Utonagan societies, the 'Utonagan Society' and the 'British and International Utonagan Society'...

At this point in time what has happened is that the BIUS have for reasons of their own decided to completly drop the Utonagan name and now start with the 'Tamaskan' which as far as I can see are the same dogs they were calling Utonagans up to last week!

The Utonagan is still very much a project...Only 1 society has now turned it's back on them...The other, 'The Utonagan Society' are still very much alive and kicking, taking there breeding as always in a positive direction (from what I can see)
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, all posts after the first two have been removed as I don't have the time to read every single one and some of them contained personal comments that could be seen as libel. In future you are reminded not to name people, but to ask questions about things you have no proof about, or post proof to back up any such claims.

As talk about this breed was brought to Dogweb by one member, her submitted breed profile has been posted in a thread along with the option for people to ASK QUESTIONS ONLY.

The thread can be found here:

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=32347
Closed Thread