View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
malimoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I think it's so easy to overfeed dogs and people can get carried away, especially if you have a dog that's always on the scrounge, a treat here and there soon mounts up, and to be honest the dog doesn't really need it. We're also subjected to massive marketing pressures as in PAH alone you can buy all manor of tasty treats etc, and lets not even think about Zooplus
I have 2 dogs, one very food orientated and one not. Since getting Mali, I now carry treats around with me on walks and find I give out treats if Mali drops the tennis ball, otherwise she won't, when they get back in the car and when they go to bed. Before Mali, I never bothered with treats except when training as Zack isn't food orientated at all, in fact he will refuse food when out for a walk. Both dogs get the same amount of walks, yet Zack is on the slim side, Mali is probably about right. Zack gets nearly 3 x the amount of food that Mali does, so it would be very easy for Mali to be overweight and when they get fed, Mali's food only just covers the bottom of her bowl, Zack has a bowl full.
I too hate to see overweight dogs waddling about, but can see how easy it is to fall into the trap especially as pet owners we like to spoil our furry friends and with all the many products on offer, pet food companys prey on our consciences, just look at the range of food/treats available.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by footsieG View Post
Hi, my Jasper,(english setter) is overweight by about 5kgs, I have tried everything, light version of his food, made him even less active, so put weight on, changed his food all together, still no good, at the moment he has about half the reccomended amount, and treats are very few, he is a rescue, and when I got him, he just didn't run.(not ES behaviour), he dordles and smells on our walks, he is so slow sometimes I have to put him back on lead. It breaks my heart, sometimes. Have had his thyroid checked within normal limits. Any Ideas anyone.
Well, personally my idea would be to ignore 'feeding amounts' and feed him half of what he gets at the moment (which is too much if he is overweight, regardless of whether or not its half the recommended..) but rather than numbers I would also go by his condition. Personally I would also consider raw feeding.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Malimoo - I think people do get carried away and not realise quite how much they feed their dogs. I dont feed mine a lot of tit bits and when I'm around others its really amazing how much they feed theirs!! Not just in meals but constant snacks, leftovers and biscuits for everything around the home, garden, walks....that and the amount of bits, people have said to me, 'oh is that all he's getting' but I really dont see the need for an adult dog to be snacking all day on bits of everything, however most of those same people have very overweight dogs and also say they dont dont feed much/the dogs on a diet, they tried stuff....I think it becomes a habit for them and they dont realise just how much they are feeding. Iv also been out walking with dogs that are the same age as mine and are almost distressed at an hours walk, which IMHO is rediculous (for young dogs) and thats where I suppose it could be classed by some as cruel.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:22 PM
My friends have an overweight Parson Jack Russell type dog they got from "Dogs Trust" and they were adamant they didn't overfeed her when I said it was too chubby (only a young dog).

We all met up for a picnic and they were feeding it Pringles!!
doggirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Well, personally my idea would be to ignore 'feeding amounts' and feed him half of what he gets at the moment (which is too much if he is overweight, regardless of whether or not its half the recommended..) but rather than numbers I would also go by his condition. Personally I would also consider raw feeding.
thanks i will also take your advice, i have people saying that my older dog is too thin at 28kg perfect weight i think for his size its the younger one his max weight was 38kg from 34kg (mind you the older one does look like kate moss next to the younger dog)before neutering i had him on light diet food for a year weight went up and down then was told to try weight pulling a bit apprehensive gave it a go and lost 3 kg he loves it gets really excited when he sees the harness, but could lose some more so i will stop going with the recomended feeding amounts.thanks
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-01-2011, 01:38 PM
We've had a few seriously overweight Siberian Huskies in through welfare - some were so fat that they no longer resembled the breed at all:

Unfortunately we also sometimes get the other extreme as well:

Mick
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 01:43 PM
breaks my heart mick tis cruelty imo

dunno how they do it mind lol, dont think mine could ever get fat.
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14