Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well they certainly weren't when my GSP pups were docked and de-declawed. You could have heard the screams miles away. It is a nightmarish sound that I shall never forget, and I vowed then that I would never ever have any bits chopped unnecessarily off my dogs. It is totally cruel and barbaric. However, maybe now they do use anaesthetic, which certainly makes it more acceptable - but I personally still would not do it, simply because I do not see any reason to do so.
Wow, you must of had an awful Vet, if he/she docked and dew clawed like that Ive of reported him, never in all the years I assisted and did it, did I witness any "nightmarish screams" How awful, did you let him do them all?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Wow, you must of had an awful Vet, if he/she docked and dew clawed like that Ive of reported him, never in all the years I assisted and did it, did I witness any "nightmarish screams" How awful, did you let him do them all?
He was, and did not remain my vet for long. I was appalled ... and yes, all 12 puppies screamed blue murder. I could not believe that the vet's WIFE (I know, it was dreadful of me to allow her anywhere near my beautiful puppies, but I was very young then, very naive and not the arsey old cow that I am now - back then, I was in awe of everyone of my parents' age) just cut my babies with no anaesthetic. Please tell me Dawn that they don't still do this ... it is totally barbaric and disgusting. Why on earth if people MUST chop bits unnecessarily off puppies cannot they use a local anaesthetic?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Funny story about rear dew claws. When working on Vietnam we had this poor bitch near us was bred relentlessly so the puppies could be sold for meat. We managed to convince the owners to let us spay her. Now this dog, Mimi, had huge double dew claws on her back feet (dogs in Vietnam are totally inbred and have various weird features!). She had caught her dew claws a few times so while she was under anaestetic for the spay the vet suddenly thought it would be a good idea to remove them as they were causing her trouble.

When we returned the dog they noticed right away the dew claws had gone and were surprisingly upset! Apparently in Vietnam double dew claws are a sign of a dog's wisdom and beauty, and we'd lopped them off......oooops! Admittedly we should have asked the owners first but considering they didn't bother to feed or water their dog, we didn't think they'd be remotely concerned about her dew claws. Ooops!
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8