View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
No. Definitely not. It would be the same as shooting a horse that had kicked or a cow that charged. We are losing the ability to see animals as animals, not hairy people. Sometimes I despair when hearing people attribute human motives to their dogs...`he`s wilful / naughty / attention-seeking. He`s doing it on purpose ...to show you he`s the boss...to make you feel guilty.
Animals react. They have learned behaviour. They really don`t have a hidden agenda. They are stressed or frightened or desperate or enraged when they attack. It is never unprovoked unless the animal is sick (rabid or brain-damaged).
Because we have become so civilised that we rarely have contact with other species, unless they are food or entertainment, we are in danger of losing the link with the natural world.
oh dear i didn`t mean to rant...sorry.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
No. I agree with the others. & i disagree with the suggestion that humans mean more than a dog, are "better" & therefore any dog that "dares" to bite a human must be destroyed ...never mind the hell us humans may have caused to that dog
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Case by case, IMO! Kali has never bitten, but I have seen him put in a position where he wanted to have a go (but didn't). A "yoof" was stirring him up with a stick, so he snarled. The yoof increased the stirring, until I clouted him (the yoof) round the ear with another stick. Then my pal gave him a good punching. In the end, I think the yoof would have preferred getting bitten

Snorri
snorri your such a rebel
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Needless to say, this didn't happen in the Twilight Zone, but in a major city "doon sooth". Twilight Zonians generally have an affinity with animals and tend not to abuse them (although there have been one or two incidents with yoofs tormenting cats and dogs - few and far between).

Snorri
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
it all depends on the situation,i rehabilitate dogs that have done just that,bitten.....some dogs must be put down because of blood line history and there is no way of ensuring puplic saftey .in most cases there is a ligit reason,and training of humans is needed ....but when a dog kills a child there is no question for the reason.....
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
it all depends on the situation,i rehabilitate dogs that have done just that,bitten.....some dogs must be put down because of blood line history and there is no way of ensuring puplic saftey .in most cases there is a ligit reason,and training of humans is needed ....but when a dog kills a child there is no question for the reason.....
sorry, what do you mean by the last sentence?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Only pts if there is no other option. Life is precious - dog or human! However, if a dog was totally out of control and not responding to training, then I feel pts would be the only answer.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
when a dog kills a child or anyone ,that dog should be killed with out any investigation........sorry so vage...phil
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I think there is a huge difference between a single bite and a full on attack.

As a general rule (there are bound to be exceptions!) I think that those dogs that give a single bite - whether out of pain or fear (or even warning 'aggression') should be given a second chance. But even with a single bite, if there is no obvious reason and there was definite intent by the dog, I'd be very uneasy about the dog's future.

Where the dog goes in for a 'full on' attack, personally I'd be less keen to see these given a second chance for various reasons.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No. Definitely not. It would be the same as shooting a horse that had kicked or a cow that charged. We are losing the ability to see animals as animals, not hairy people. Sometimes I despair when hearing people attribute human motives to their dogs...`he`s wilful / naughty / attention-seeking. He`s doing it on purpose ...to show you he`s the boss...to make you feel guilty.
Animals react. They have learned behaviour. They really don`t have a hidden agenda. They are stressed or frightened or desperate or enraged when they attack. It is never unprovoked unless the animal is sick (rabid or brain-damaged).
Because we have become so civilised that we rarely have contact with other species, unless they are food or entertainment, we are in danger of losing the link with the natural world.
oh dear i didn`t mean to rant...sorry.
Well said

I rem getting bit when I was a kid (not nasty) and I got told off for making the dog bite me (and it was my fault)

If I heard any dog I know had bitten I would ask what the person had done to deserve it

I guess there will be some cases where the dog is so hyper reactive and there just isnt an experienced person who is willing to home them and take the care to make sure the dog is never in a situation where it can attack
and there are so many dogs needing homes that I guess it is understandable that some dogs will need to be PTS

But with any pet the first thing should be to find out why, then figure out how to train the dog a better way of coping with that situation
PTS should always be the last option
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »