Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gillmoor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2008, 01:53 PM

changing food has made such a fantastic difference

for two years of owning daisy we never had a good firm poo, always soft and splogy, megan came a year later and oh dear we had such problems with her. always tripping to the vets with tum troubles. We fed on burns puppy and then on purina sensitive. still soft. One day I bought a cheaper dog food for the other lot and said I would try to intorduce it to the boxers to see if the could tolerate it. it is fantastic, proper firm poo, twice a day instead of megans 10 times a day. They look fantastic, shiney coats, megan has filled out and has never ever looked so well.
I have discovered that sometimes buying the most expensive is not always the best for every dog. I am so happy.the food I have now is brandy, its made in Northern Ireland.
Christine
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 02:47 PM
This is similar to what we've been discussing in the Chappie thread.

I was one of those who bought only the "premium" brands until I did an experiment and discovered that most expensive isnt always what gives the desired results.

It's a good feeling when you find a food that is right for your dog.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm really surprised to read this! Any dogs I've known to be fed on this have had bad teeth, smelly coats and never in great condition! (Plus could have pooed for Ireland.)
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Interesting to read that, and I hope yours continue to do well on the new food.
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2008, 08:39 AM
It certainly pays to do your homework, especially when the posh nosh is getting so expensive! I was feeding James Wellbeloved but it's well over £40 for 15kg, and now I understand Burns is going to be about £42 from July - that's a lot of money! There are cheaper alternatives which are still good quality, and some pet shop own brands are perfectly fine (and apparently made in the same factory with the same ingredients as better known brands)
I've switched to Pets at Home Light which is a natural dried food and around £28 for 15kg
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Interesting topic.The breeder was feeding a mixture of Beta and raw but I changed Chip to Burns. His motions have been a bit soft ever since though he only goes once after each meal. I'm also giving him fairly large quantities but he's on the thin side and growing fast. I don't want to chop and change but maybe Burns isn't so good for him
The only real upset he's had came a couple of days after giving him a marrow bone to chew which surprised me since he'd already had raw.
gillmoor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I found that Megan was always starving on burns puppy,food. I actually talked to mr biurns himself to see if I could give her more but he said to stick to the right amount so I used to cook carrots and potatoes to bulk her up. She came off it at about 8 months as it was just not right for her, then she went onto the beta sensitive without much success but at least it filled her she used to actually scream for food, it was terrible and she was so thin and runny poos
Glad she is fantastic now. Christine
gillmoor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I'm really surprised to read this! Any dogs I've known to be fed on this have had bad teeth, smelly coats and never in great condition! (Plus could have pooed for Ireland.)
i only use the dry kibble, never tinned food, they do get, sardines, chicken or cooked mince and an egg sometimes.
They have brill teeth, coats and have absolutely no no smell , cant ask for better than that. Christine
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I am having a nightmare with kato triued Nature Diet Gold for sensitive tums and wagg but just horendous tried 100%raw still bad so now trying Beta Sensitive with raw chicken mice and fingers crossed.
PAH own brand is Wainwrights exactly the same sister in law works for said company. And I just cant afford Burns and JWB with 3 large dogs.
gillmoor
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:37 AM
i didnt have a lot of success with beta sensitive, wish I had tried the cheap stuff earlier instead of persevering for over a year with daisy.christine