register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: National service reintroduction ?
in favour 26 68.42%
not infavour 8 21.05%
undecided 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I think it should but not for all, just for repeat young offenders as a way of teaching them respect etc, I agree with Fudgeley I would hate for mine to go into national service but it could be used to benifit offenders instead of prison or instituions.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Yes all in favour for it but National service as in training for the military not actually being in the military and requiring to see active service, they can make that decision once they've done it.
Becky
I voted yes then thoght "oh no how many more of or young lads will we lose in Iraq/Afghanistan etc"
So, yes Becky thats the solution.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Fudge - would you be against it if they had a choice within the Services to say be a mechanic or an ambulance driver or a nurse in combat situations?
Just curious - because I can understand not wanting to kill.. but if there were those options - would you still be against?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:24 PM
My dad did National Service and he spoke about it with some 'affection' and certainly good humour!
I also remember watching a programme the beeb did and they did put repeat young offenders through 1950's National Service and it really turned some of them round, infact several of them actually signed up.
These young lads went from being foul mouthed disrespectful didn't careless to these amazing people who just need a bit of guidance and encouragement and indeed some discipline so they realised there were consequences to their actions.
I think a lot of our kids today just don't have any guidance from their parents anymore and personally I think this would help a lot of them, especially by being independent and using their brains rather than relying on everything being done for them.
Becky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes all in favour for it but National service as in training for the military not actually being in the military and requiring to see active service, they can make that decision once they've done it.
Becky
I agree with Becky, so I voted undecided, from a totally selfish point of view i'd hate for my wee lad to be risking his life for a country i'm not even proud to live in anymore. It's a shambles. JMO.

But yes, I think it would be good in shaping young folks lives, especially those with little or no direction and of course young offenders e.t.c. but so long as they had the choice at the end as to if they continued into active service or not.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 08:32 PM
My dad did National Service and he spoke about it with some 'affection' and certainly good humour!
I also remember watching a programme the beeb did and they did put repeat young offenders through 1950's National Service and it really turned some of them round, infact several of them actually signed up.
These young lads went from being foul mouthed disrespectful didn't careless to these amazing people who just need a bit of guidance and encouragement and indeed some discipline so they realised there were consequences to their actions.
I think a lot of our kids today just don't have any guidance from their parents anymore and personally I think this would help a lot of them, especially by being independent and using their brains rather than relying on everything being done for them.
Becky
Great post Becky, I saw that programme too, it would also give young lads a sense of pride and self respect, and how to be respectfull.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Becky
I voted yes, but my thoughts are the same as Beckys.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:37 PM
May I also add to others views by saying it would get some of these lazy swines who live off their parents off their ar5es too,xxxxxxxxxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, In favour, but it aint going to happen, the pc brigade have to much say in this country and this goes against the softly/softly approach.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Totally against (shocker I know!)
On a selfish level, I have no interest in my son going in the armed forces.
In answer to some of the suggestions on here...why is it a good idea to send those who have no direction and are involved in crime, into a situation where they will be taught how to kill? I don't see the logic at all, not one bit.

It's great that lots of people remember parents etc thinking back on their wonderful National Service, my dad was the smae, his brother wasn't though...never got the chance. he was killed in action.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »