Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyRaven
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Guilt

Hi everyone,

Very very sad at the minute, I'm feeling immensely guilty & worried that my poor puppy is spending too much time home alone

I'm doing everything I can to minimise how long she spends by herself but I can't help but wonder if she'd be better off rehomed ((((((((((((

I know what you're all going to say - I should have thought about all this before I got her & you're right I wish I had though with my head at the time & not my heart, I love her so much.

She's alone for a maximum of two work days a week. Either my partner and I will go back half way through the day to let her out & give her a fuss too. So 8:40 to 1ish and after we let her out she's alone then until 5:20, two days in a row each week.

I leave soothing music on for her, she has every toy you can imagine, tasty bones, cosy bed, warmth, biscuits & water but the guilt is killing me.

What would be the right thing to do? so gutted I'm even writing this.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Oh dear, a touch melodrama methinks........?

Mine are left alone all day from a year old, so I would not worry too much about it. Dogs are very adaptable.

When my elder dog was small she went to a dog creche every day until she was 6 months old and then had a dog walker round every lunchtime until a year old.

She is, at 11, a very well balanced dog.

However, if the guilt is "killing you" then perhaps you need to review either dog ownership or working?
AmyRaven
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh dear, a touch melodrama methinks........?

Mine are left alone all day from a year old, so I would not worry too much about it. Dogs are very adaptable.

When my elder dog was small she went to a dog creche every day until she was 6 months old and then had a dog walker round every lunchtime until a year old.

She is, at 11, a very well balanced dog.

However, if the guilt is "killing you" then perhaps you need to review either dog ownership or working?
Raven is 9 months old at the moment but we don't have time to walk her when we pop home at lunch time. Can't afford to work less hours either. Sorry if I send melodramatic but her welfare is the most important thing to me and I want to be sure of what is the best for her. We also live out in the sticks so no dog creches or dog sitters in this area either.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I think you will find that for most of us, our dogs welfare is the most important thing to us..........
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't see a problem with it to be honest. Many people who own a dog have to work full time, yours is only being left those hours two days a week. As long as she's not distressed by it then where's the problem?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Dont worry Amy

You concerns are perfectly fine, but the routine you describe is perfectly fine as well
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi Amy

What is causing your concern? Is Raven showing any signs of stress when you leave her alone?

Your routine is fine. Dogs can happily learn to spend time alone. The key is to make sure that when you are there, it is quality time. A good walk, play, training etc.

You're not being melodramatic at all - just a new dog owner who is worried about their dog . We've all been there
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

When we both worked full time, our dog (we just had one then) was left five days a week. He had a good walk in morning, and again at night, and he was fine.

Now someone is at home most of the time, the dogs still tend to just snooze most of the day anyway. If you give him a good walk before you go to work, I'm sure he'll just sleep for most of the time.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

yeah, we can't all be there all the time with our dogs. I'm sure Rupert sometimes heaves a sigh of relief at having a bit of peace and quiet to shred tissues when we go bowling

It's not like Raven's being left ridiculous amounts of time every day, even on the days she is left for a long time someone goes home to let her out and give her a bit of attention. I honestly don't see what you're worrying for
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2011, 04:44 PM
It isn`t ideal, but it isn`t going to blight her life IMO. Why not engage a dog walker for the days she`s left|?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >