Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes because a) I tell people I will be bringing a dog with me and b) why would a dog lover who wanted to rehome a dog be nervouse of a strange dog as of course the dog they are about to get will be a stranger to them!

If you are not in the market for a rescue dog then you are hardly likely to be put in this position are you.

And whether or not your dogs have a good life is not in question, so do mine and I have never been homechecked!

If people do not like strangers or strange dogs in their homes, better not apply to rescue then!
I think you misunderstand me, I wouldnt be nervous of the actual dog, just more uncomfortable with a dog being in, say, the living room. It just wouldnt sit well with me as my own dogs stay in the kitchen, and visiting dogs have always had the same boundaries.

I was just curious why such things would put you off a home if just about every other box was ticked.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I welcome any dog - I've just been talking to the fosterer and said that if the home checkers/rescue want to fail me on the grounds that I have an entire male on the property - I will will them to bring as many neutered/entire males with them so they can see that my dog will be fine.

I know they ask for vet recommendations but as I haven't had Louie at this new vet very long would they take a trainers recommendation? I mean she see's how I interact with him on a weekly basis and how he plays in the paddock with the other dogs entire and neutered? Or will this be up to the rescue?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Because I would not have been told that dogs are only allowed in the kitchen.

If I had been told that the potential rehomer only allowed their dogs in (insert relevent rooms/area) then I would take the dog in those areas and ask how they manage the situation.

I do not allow my dogs upstairs.

But I have only come across one potential home that wanted to keep their dogs out of their living/sitting/drawing rooms and they were refused not because of this but because they had unrealistic expectations of dog behaviour.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I welcome any dog - I've just been talking to the fosterer and said that if the home checkers/rescue want to fail me on the grounds that I have an entire male on the property - I will will them to bring as many neutered/entire males with them so they can see that my dog will be fine.

I know they ask for vet recommendations but as I haven't had Louie at this new vet very long would they take a trainers recommendation? I mean she see's how I interact with him on a weekly basis and how he plays in the paddock with the other dogs entire and neutered? Or will this be up to the rescue?
I think it will be up to the relevant rescue hun.

Try not to dwell too much on it as I doubt you'll get homechecked if a no entire resident dog is criteria as there wouldn't be a point.

As someone said before, not all rescues have this policy
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Because I would not have been told that dogs are only allowed in the kitchen.

If I had been told that the potential rehomer only allowed their dogs in (insert relevent rooms/area) then I would take the dog in those areas and ask how they manage the situation.

I do not allow my dogs upstairs.

But I have only come across one potential home that wanted to keep their dogs out of their living/sitting/drawing rooms and they were refused not because of this but because they had unrealistic expectations of dog behaviour.
Fair enough, curiosity satisfied Merely asking as I will be rescuing again in the future yet have more restrictions with my dogs than lots of other people have. I have a rescue dog but never had a homecheck with her.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I think it will be up to the relevant rescue hun.

Try not to dwell too much on it as I doubt you'll get homechecked if a no entire resident dog is criteria as there wouldn't be a point.

As someone said before, not all rescues have this policy
I've asked on the rescue site about it - they do have this policy unless for medical reasons - just hoping my new vet is one who thinks dogs should be allowed to mature before they get them cut off.. will ring them up tomorrow and see...
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I've asked on the rescue site about it - they do have this policy unless for medical reasons - just hoping my new vet is one who thinks dogs should be allowed to mature before they get them cut off.. will ring them up tomorrow and see...
I personally agree that dogs should be allowed to mature before being snipped, although in compliance with Harley's contract, I had him done at 1yr, which was too young really, but not as bad as it could have been.

I hope they look at your "case" for what it is, which is a good home
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I personally agree that dogs should be allowed to mature before being snipped, although in compliance with Harley's contract, I had him done at 1yr, which was too young really, but not as bad as it could have been.

I hope they look at your "case" for what it is, which is a good home
Well they have the opinion of the fosterer to go on - we have been talking and she knows me - but not enough for me to hand her money under the table to sway the outcome my way - so to speak..

I will ask my trainer and the vet nurse (also a trainer) at training for written recommendations and send them off - if they agree to it of course, everything helps doesn't it... can't harm it..
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Well they have the opinion of the fosterer to go on - we have been talking and she knows me - but not enough for me to hand her money under the table to sway the outcome my way - so to speak..

I will ask my trainer and the vet nurse (also a trainer) at training for written recommendations and send them off - if they agree to it of course, everything helps doesn't it... can't harm it..
Sounds a good plan to me

Your case is a perfect example of why I don't understand the entire rule, as not all entire dogs are dominant/agressive, PLUS most rescues have a spay/neuter thing with their own adoptive dogs anyway...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
All rescues are sooo different i think the only way to get a real answer is from the actual rescue you're wanting to adopt from...

I know some that charge - £25 for a homecheck.

I know some breed specific rescues that take on the word from another rescue they work closely with for homechecks.

Not sure about them time lapsing.

We weren't homechecked for Zeke We would have failed, we didn't have good enough fencing up and we worked long hours and didn't really have much knowledge on dogs Oh my god to think if we didn't have him...!

I wanted to say Good Luck, great thing you're thinking of doing and you will be rewarded with lots of doggy love, the best reward there is xxx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >