Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 08:49 AM

Shadowboxer....

Hi SB (and anyone who has a big breed dog)

Do you think a 42 inch crate will be big enough for a GSD pup - I only intend on having him in it for 6 months or so, then will get him a non destructible basket if there is such a thing.

Dimensions as listed on site
106cm Long x 71cm Wide x 81cm High
42" Long x 28" Wide x 31" High

Thanks for your help.

Ingrid
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2005, 09:23 AM
our crate for Finn is 36 x 26 x 24 so I would imagine it would be the right size for a GSD
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Oh great, I can get a smaller crate - phew what a relief - when I measured the 42' it was huge!!

Thanks Carole
pollaton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:38 AM
they are supposed to have enough room to stand up and turn around in it. ask at your petstore, they should be able to recommend the right one. but the 36' one sounds about right.
Carole
Supervisor

08-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Oh great, I can get a smaller crate - phew what a relief - when I measured the 42' it was huge!!

Thanks Carole
sorry I meant that the 42inch crate would be a good size for a GSD as they are bigger than boxers.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:49 AM
hey MC I got the biggest cage available (sized for a st bernard etc) for my two who are about GSD size and to be honest I wouldn't want the cage much smaller than that now they are adults...

I know you said you will just have a dog bed when he reaches 6 months and do away with the crate, but why not just get a full size crate now that will fit him well as an adult and keep using the crate??...Maybe not everyday but as and when you need too.

They do come in handy when they are full grown...How about if he has to go in for an op or something and needs to rest where is a bit more confined??...When Keena was spayed we had to use a crate so she didn't get knocked by Takoda when sleeping and to keep her from trying to jump up on the bed or sofa for a nap etc..Crates can be really usefull when they are past puppyhood so you might want to think about having one for long term use.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi Myschievious - unfortunately we don't have the space to fit a massive crate - terraced house with really awkwardly placed rooms you see so we're going to have to opt for crate training then switch to a basket when he's almost fully grown.

I'd love it if we could have a big crate for him though.

Thanks for your response.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
sorry I meant that the 42inch crate would be a good size for a GSD as they are bigger than boxers.
Okay - sorry totally misunderstood - well 42 inch it is then
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Your welcome MC

yours sounds similar to my house...I hate my house...lol...really, when we had the cage up it practically took up the whole living room...but I still felt like I couldn't do without it at times...

Hope what you choose works out
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

08-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi

If you are intending to use it for only the first six months then a smaller size would be adequate. If it it too big for the pup you will need to partition it to prevent toileting in the crate. The dog needs enough room to stand up, lay down, and turn around.

As your dog will probably be well on the training road by six months I see no point in getting a crate which would fit an adult GSD if it is not be a permanent fixture (the crate, that is, not the dog )

You will need bedding in the crate which can be transferred to a basket/bed when you wean him away from the crate.

SB
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >