Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:37 PM

Camping!

I've said this every year for the last 5 years.....BUT this year I am seriously going to try camping with Merlin.

It'll be easier now I live in a rural area - I'm sure I can find (well I know of one or two) a secluded place I could easily pitch a tent and spend just one night, for the fun of it, without getting moved on.

I could even go to the trouble of finding out the landowner and asking, if I really wanted to - not such a bad thing in these parts where there are a lot of waifs and strays about especially around the time of Glastonbury Festival, and not always desirable types either. The "New Age Convoy" days have gone but the memory lingers and the last thing I want is a farmer brandishing a shotgun at me at 2am shouting "Gerroff Moi Laaaaaand!"

[On second thoughts, I might just wimp out and find a dog-friendly campsite for a one-night pitch! ]

So - what do I need? This is where more seasoned campers can probably help me out

I obviously need a tent and it will have to be lightweight and easily fixed to a backpack as I walk, I bus, I train, I occasionally ferry, but I don't drive. Sleeping bag I guess, too.

Other than that I would need some kind of small camping stove (the little ones with a camping gaz cylinder type), some mess tins or cookware, and that covers the basics I'd have thought.

Optional extras might be a hammock to string up under trees, with a cheap pound-store tarp and some washing line to make a roof.

Oh and one of those tie-out things you stick in the ground to anchor Merlin if needs be.

Any other ideas for the basic basics?

[.....I am thinking valium.... cos I will either be awake listening to every rustle and twig fall.... or Merlin will be awake on my behalf and give me a running commentary all night!!! ]
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Not tried them but halfords had a whole kit in a back pack that seemed not a bad price...
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Haven't ever tried camping without driving but have spent many weekends in a tent with dogs and also spent most weekends throughout last winter in a small caravan.

If I was you I would choose the dog friendly campsite for your first time.

Main reason I say this is that they will have toilet blocks and taps. It is amazing how much water you and a dog actually use when you have to carry it!! We also found we packed more for the dogs than we did for us which might be a problem if you're carrying everything.

Have fun and definately go for it
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Not tried them but halfords had a whole kit in a back pack that seemed not a bad price...
I will check that out thanks - althoguh I'm not even sure where the nearest Halfords is around here.... Possibly 20 miles away and in an out of town shopping development I can't get to by bus

I have a decent rucksack already, and have been looking on Ebay for tents, have my eye on a Jura:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...RK:MESINDXX:IT

About a £50 outlay but the tent is the most important part, it has to be easy to put up and sturdy and green.... I certainly do not want something with pink and purple dinosaurs on it, lol..... Or something for £10 from Lidls which falls over when a badger breathes at it.

Thanks Abbie for the tip - might even try my sister's front garden for the maiden voyage
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I will check that out thanks - althoguh I'm not even sure where the nearest Halfords is around here.... Possibly 20 miles away and in an out of town shopping development I can't get to by bus

I have a decent rucksack already, and have been looking on Ebay for tents, have my eye on a Jura:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...RK:MESINDXX:IT

About a £50 outlay but the tent is the most important part, it has to be easy to put up and sturdy and green.... I certainly do not want something with pink and purple dinosaurs on it, lol..... Or something for £10 from Lidls which falls over when a badger breathes at it.

Thanks Abbie for the tip - might even try my sister's front garden for the maiden voyage
Hi Sue,

There is a Halfords in Wells!

Sounds like you and Merlin are going to have loads of fun!! I think you are better off trying out a quiet dog friendly camp site to begin with. I don't know if you know this one, but it is local and dog friendly, though it might be a bit too local for you?

http://theoldoaks.co.uk/dog-friendly-holidays.html