View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2012, 09:39 PM
It's the most horrible time, whatever you choose to do, isn't it.

I have always held our dogs, and never regretted it for one moment, but there is something perhaps to think about if you are undecided - the only animal that I was not allowed to stay with was one of our ponies who could not have the injection because she was paranoid about needles in her neck. The vet and my husband both refused to let me stay when she was shot (sorry to be blunt, but there is no other way of saying it really), and to this day I wonder how calm and peaceful she was in those last minutes and whether the whole thing was quick and clean. Oh yes, I know that it's instant, but the thing is this little mare was also paranoid about anyone holding her head and always needed a loose rope. I will never know; and it is not a good thing to live with.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I had my old mare shot. I called the knacker man out. She was kicked on her trear hind tendon and she was beginning to go down on the other leg, she was never going to get better, she would have got worse and I don't see the point in continuing when an animal is visibly suffering and has no quality of life. It was a frosty day in November and she was turned out in the small paddock with a rug on, the sun was shining, blue sky, he walked up, offered her a carrot and did it, she dropped like a stone. They linger and fight the injection and they know fear, which I didn't want, she knew nothing, one minute enjoying the day, next second she was gone
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I had my old mare shot. I called the knacker man out. She was kicked on her trear hind tendon and she was beginning to go down on the other leg, she was never going to get better, she would have got worse and I don't see the point in continuing when an animal is visibly suffering and has no quality of life. It was a frosty day in November and she was turned out in the small paddock with a rug on, the sun was shining, blue sky, he walked up, offered her a carrot and did it, she dropped like a stone. They linger and fight the injection and they know fear, which I didn't want, she knew nothing, one minute enjoying the day, next second she was gone
Exactly the same with my old horse, out in the paddock, eating grass, knew nothing, he went down like a stone. Horrible for me, but the best for him.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I think if you can find the strength in your heart to be there, then yes.

I really could not imagine not being there myself. In a way that last moment is like the most precious - because there will never be any more, and it feels as if that's when they need you most.

God I feel sad now
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2012, 09:06 AM
As hard as it is I think by having their owner by their side makes them calm and relaxed
If I left holly she would be in a panic because I wasn't there, but if I was there she would be more calm because I am with her
I have been there everytime, one final cuddle. Plus if your dog is suffering you see them at peace which reminds you that you have done the best thing for them.

As hard as it is to face I couldn't not be there because I would feel like I have failed them when they need me the most.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
i prefer to stay with mine while they are pts, i personally feel i owe it to them, however i didn't have the choice with my last one , it did upset me at the time. x you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. xxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think we all fear that but somehow you find the strength to get you through those last few minutes till they are gone then you can break down and sob.

I really don't know how I got through Max's or Ollie's I was in bits before we left the house I remember hanging onto the bathroom sink before we took Ollie trying to find the strength to get out of the door.
I did and somehow kept it together I think you go onto automatic pilot.

Neither seemed to pick up on the way and while we waited that anything was happening or how upset inside I was feeling.
But that is the thing Lynn, I didn't with Moss I just totally broke down while I was holding him for the vet to inject him. I was sobbing into his coat and I couldn't stop myself. I just got almost hysterical once he had passed It was dreadful. I am terrified, absolutely terrified, of this happening again
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
It's the most horrible time, whatever you choose to do, isn't it.

I have always held our dogs, and never regretted it for one moment, but there is something perhaps to think about if you are undecided - the only animal that I was not allowed to stay with was one of our ponies who could not have the injection because she was paranoid about needles in her neck. The vet and my husband both refused to let me stay when she was shot (sorry to be blunt, but there is no other way of saying it really), and to this day I wonder how calm and peaceful she was in those last minutes and whether the whole thing was quick and clean. Oh yes, I know that it's instant, but the thing is this little mare was also paranoid about anyone holding her head and always needed a loose rope. I will never know; and it is not a good thing to live with.
That is so awful Bitkin and not a nice thing to live with at all I think perhaps much of my trepidation comes because none of the dogs I have seen pts have gone really peacefully, which is what I always hoped for and expected to a degree.

Hugs about your pony x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Exactly the same with my old horse, out in the paddock, eating grass, knew nothing, he went down like a stone. Horrible for me, but the best for him.
Yes I can see how that would be the kinder thing for the horse, as hard as it is to watch I miss my Highland mare, but now she has been sold to a new home, I am quite relieved that this won't be my decision to make when the time comes.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I think if you can find the strength in your heart to be there, then yes.

I really could not imagine not being there myself. In a way that last moment is like the most precious - because there will never be any more, and it feels as if that's when they need you most.

God I feel sad now
That is definitely a positive (if that is the right word in this context) way of looking at their last moments. It is so sad though
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »