Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
What's that all about? TBH it looks like sour grapes on the part of some people who have given advice (and it was all good advice IMO) but then found out that Pidge was listening to her behaviourist/trainer only.

If there's one thing I learned in the past two years it is:

You can't FORCE someone to take your advice. You can give it. Then what the other party does with it is up to them. There is no point slating the OP for posting when she was in a highly emotional state. We've all done that at some point (I know I have).

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone
Perhaps because Pidge was feeling so down the other day when she posted. She'd been told something very upsetting also. When you are feeling bad don't things always seem a lot worse than they actually are?

Doesn't take a brain surgeon (or a counsellor ) to work that one out.
I think what worrys me about it all is, yes Pidge has decided to take the advice of the trainers involved with woody,
Now im not sure which one it was that said woody may have to be PTS if these issues are not resolved,
the very people pidge has put her trust/money into are the people who caused the upset in the first place..

also to say he would be un Re-homeable is not compleatly true, ok, you cant re home aggressive dogs to pet homes, but there are some who can and will take on problem dogs, though they are few and far between,

The problem with trainers/behaviourists is, how do you know who is good and who's not, often you dont know your trainer is bad untill you find a good one. So much trust is put into the hands of trainers, more so by people like pidge who are on there first lap of the track so dont have anything to compare it to.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Guys
Just a quick note re the ''fun'' part. Have any of you seen my pictures of all the fun walks we do and the swimming and the different places and experiences we explore? That puppy couldn't have more of a fun life!

I do think there is a tendency for a) people to mainly post about the problems (like I have) and b) people on forums to only read and pay interest to the problems.

Anyway, I understand it's confusing for people to give advice when they don't know the dog or the owner as it is just a forum with typed words after all.
Pidge I think after the number of threads you have started on here many of them in what appeared to be desperation culminating in this one, people feel they know quite a bit about the dog and the owner.

It is only a few days ago that you posted that Woody had a serious problem and you said ''were scared it is going end in tears if you know what I mean'' and ''he won't be rehomable' which sounded pretty serious to me.
You also posted..
we're now having to face the harsh reality that Woody has some generic/genetic behaviour issues that are slowly getting worse.
We're doing everything we can and have the best professional help and advice available but all now agree that he is unusually hyper active and is showing classic signs of aggression.
Neither of us are ever going to give up (I mean what choice do we have, he wont be re-homeable!!), but it's so hard to face the reality that there is a chance that what is in him is so strong we wont be able to help him!
I'm taking the business as usual approach but as I sit here listening to him gnawing at the coffee table, even though he's had walks and play and food and water and rest and mental games I just want to cry inside!!
Behaviourists that are helping us and friends who are very expert in rescue springers.
I hope so although I can't help but worry now that even the experts are saying we have our hands full and that there is clearly something in him that is causing this.
I am NOT giving up, ever, but I do worry so much that despite all our efforts and hard work we might not be able to help him.
We are doing all we can, there is always more to do and clearly things we have done wrong (inadvertently) but I'm so scared it's going end in tears if you know what I mean.
I was amazed that any of your 'expert advisors' who are experienced with dogs would ever consider this puppy has 'generic behavioural issues' or any really serious problems . I actually don't agree that there is anything particularly unusual in Woody's behaviour, he sounds like a typical Springer puppy to me and no worse than the many other Springer pups (and other breeds) I have known.
I think sometimes people just don't realise what hard work some puppies can be, they see normal (if somewhat exaggerated behaviour in the case of some puppies) as behavioural problems .

It can take months and months to get anywhere with some puppies, one day will be good and you think you are getting somewhere then the next day a new problem will arise, when this happens you grit your teeth and stand firm in the knowledge it will pass if you handle it correctly.

Zak my sons springer is 15 months now and has been very difficult to train but not for one moment did anyone consider he had 'serious behavioural issues' (he certainly has a degree of obsessive compulsive behaviour which I attribute to being a working dog in home enviriment) or contemplate anything other than using time and patience to get him through the difficult stages of being a puppy and a young adult.

I would say many of Woody's 'serious behavioural problems' are down to people not understanding his needs and giving him the wrong messages . Take the aggression, this often starts with puppies because people do some small thing like removing food from a puppy who may be a bit unsure so tries to protect what is his, a natural instinct required for self preservation. If this is handled incorrectly what begins as a minor problem can grow to be something more serious, but is is not unusual behaviour given certain circumstances.

Pidge I think you need to stop thinking of Woody as some delinquent puppy. I am sure the problems he has are down to his inherited traits as a working breed and people not understanding how to handle him.
A lot of puppy training is 90% using common sense and seeing the puppy for what it is, a small animal which doesn't have the ability to reason, doesn't speak our language and can easily misunderstand what is required of it.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think what worrys me about it all is, yes Pidge has decided to take the advice of the trainers involved with woody,
Now im not sure which one it was that said woody may have to be PTS if these issues are not resolved,
the very people pidge has put her trust/money into are the people who caused the upset in the first place..

also to say he would be un Re-homeable is not compleatly true, ok, you cant re home aggressive dogs to pet homes, but there are some who can and will take on problem dogs, though they are few and far between,

The problem with trainers/behaviourists is, how do you know who is good and who's not, often you dont know your trainer is bad untill you find a good one. So much trust is put into the hands of trainers, more so by people like pidge who are on there first lap of the track so dont have anything to compare it to.
exactly, and no good trainer ought to recommend tying him to a radiator to make him settle
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I understand your concerns Shona, but I believe context is everything. How anyone feels on a certain day influences who they see things.

I was just surprised at the sudden U-turn by a few members who decided today to have a go just because Pidge was feeling better.

As for saying 'You say more bad things about Woody than good' (not you Shona), so what? You can't control what people post or how they feel.

It's interesting that people feel the need to bring that up
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
exactly, and no good trainer ought to recommend tying him to a radiator to make him settle
I know plenty of exceptional and exceptionally experienced trainers who would recommend doing just that as long as the dog is supervised and the dog has something'to do' whilst benched.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 03:58 PM
but thats just it, i have only been directed to one or two good posts about him since he was an 8 week old baby, i haven't turned on Pidge, i'm just frustrated, that people seem to have wasted their time and effort thinking of ways to help, when actually this whole post was about Pidge not woody at all.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2009, 03:58 PM
This is a strange thread. It went from everyone giving Pidge advice and support, to Pidge saying she was feeling much better (all great so far), then a few members decide to have a go?

What's that all about? TBH it looks like sour grapes on the part of some people who have given advice (and it was all good advice IMO) but then found out that Pidge was listening to her behaviourist/trainer only.

If there's one thing I learned in the past two years it is:

You can't FORCE someone to take your advice. You can give it. Then what the other party does with it is up to them. There is no point slating the OP for posting when she was in a highly emotional state. We've all done that at some point (I know I have).

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone

I think you need to take the time to read through all Pigdes threads asking for advice and help where Woody is concerned.

There are no sour grapes I am afriad , just frustration from many who time and time again try to help and reassure Pidge.

Re- trainers and behaviourists, they are not all good ones.. and to be honest for a behaviourist /trainer to suggest a 8 mth old pup may need pts and tying to a radiator , in not one I would put my trust in.

But as you say, Pidge is free to choose who to take advice from..
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Pidge I think after the number of threads you have started on here many of them in what appeared to be desperation culminating in this one, people feel they know quite a bit about the dog and the owner.

It is only a few days ago that you posted that Woody had a serious problem and you said ''were scared it is going end in tears if you know what I mean'' and ''he won't be rehomable' which sounded pretty serious to me.
You also posted..
I was amazed that any of your 'expert advisors' who are experienced with dogs would ever consider this puppy has 'generic behavioural issues' or any really serious problems . I actually don't agree that there is anything particularly unusual in Woody's behaviour, he sounds like a typical Springer puppy to me and no worse than the many other Springer pups (and other breeds) I have known.
I think sometimes people just don't realise what hard work some puppies can be, they see normal (if somewhat exaggerated behaviour in the case of some puppies) as behavioural problems .

It can take months and months to get anywhere with some puppies, one day will be good and you think you are getting somewhere then the next day a new problem will arise, when this happens you grit your teeth and stand firm in the knowledge it will pass if you handle it correctly.

Zak my sons springer is 15 months now and has been very difficult to train but not for one moment did anyone consider he had 'serious behavioural issues' (he certainly has a degree of obsessive compulsive behaviour which I attribute to being a working dog in home enviriment) or contemplate anything other than using time and patience to get him through the difficult stages of being a puppy and a young adult.

I would say many of Woody's 'serious behavioural problems' are down to people not understanding his needs and giving him the wrong messages . Take the aggression, this often starts with puppies because people do some small thing like removing food from a puppy who may be a bit unsure so tries to protect what is his, a natural instinct required for self preservation. If this is handled incorrectly what begins as a minor problem can grow to be something more serious, but is is not unusual behaviour given certain circumstances.

Pidge I think you need to stop thinking of Woody as some delinquent puppy. I am sure the problems he has are down to his inherited traits as a working breed and people not understanding how to handle him.
A lot of puppy training is 90% using common sense and seeing the puppy for what it is, a small animal which doesn't have the ability to reason, doesn't speak our language and can easily misunderstand what is required of it
I think this is exceptionally good advice and is what I have tried to say on here too. Relax and enjoy him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think you need to take the time to read through all Pigdes threads asking for advice and help where Woody is concerned.

There are no sour grapes I am afriad , just frustration from many who time and time again try to help and reassure Pidge.

Re- trainers and behaviourists, they are not all good ones.. and to be honest for a behaviourist /trainer to suggest a 8 mth old pup may need pts and tying to a radiator , in not one I would put my trust in.

But as you say, Pidge is free to choose who to take advice from..
In fairness I think that Pidge has highlighted the worst case scenarios that were given to her...ie...if Woodys behaviour continues and gets worse he may end up with real problems and perhaps need PTS...understandably she was probably shocked by that.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I think what people may be worried about is Pidge has chosen to put her money and faith in a trainers that said he may need to be PTS what happens if she takes their advice no one here wants to see a 8 month old pup PTS.
Closed Thread
Page 34 of 44 « First < 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 > Last »