Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 12:08 PM

Any Fishermen/women out there???

I am looking to get dad something fishing related for xmas as he is a really keen river fisherman and so far have come up with 2 ideas of things he has asked for or doesnt have 1) a bouancy vest as lastyear he fell split his head and broke 3 ribs!!! and he's not getting any younger so on that note does anyone have any good websites that offer reasonable prices

2) I remember him talking about a certain type of lure that was almost impossible to get now (so was going to try ebay or the likes) and think it was a something minnow???? I have had a look and see you get devon minnows, wooden minnows silver minnows, silver and blue minnows etc etc....does anyone know the name of what I am looking for???

I know its a shot in the dark but if anyone can help then dogsey can!!!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm a keen angler what type of fish does he go for Salmon/trout ? I suspect it's Salmon, if so there's a good range of lures made by Rapala, as for the vest, do you have a boating center near you, there's one in Grangemouth that does a full range, or have you considered a wading stick ? it's like a stout walking stick similar to a shooting stick, you wedge in in the river bed behind you then place your behind on it to give you support from the water current.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks Denis....No hadnt thought of a wading stick (never even heard of them)....don't have a boating centre that I know of, though Grangemouth not too far away and hopefully sometime I'm gonna try and meet up with Shona so she can help me with a wee prob with Ben so could maybe combine the 2.

He fishes on the isla and the esk for trout and salmon. He usually catches sea trout and salmon. Though he does love it up North west Loch fishing for Brown and rainbow (which are tasty!! mmm brown trout in oatmeal for breakfast )

I'm not convinced he would ever own up to wearing the life jacket/bouancy vest but I think he gave himself a real fright when he fell he certainly gave us one and I am just worried as he is one of those who likes to go to the places where no-one else fishes so he is usually on his own

I gave him a mobile last xmas but he wont take it as if it rings it spoils the peace and quiet!!!!

Will go search on net for a wading stick right now.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks Denis....No hadnt thought of a wading stick (never even heard of them)....don't have a boating centre that I know of, though Grangemouth not too far away and hopefully sometime I'm gonna try and meet up with Shona so she can help me with a wee prob with Ben so could maybe combine the 2.

He fishes on the isla and the esk for trout and salmon. He usually catches sea trout and salmon. Though he does love it up North west Loch fishing for Brown and rainbow (which are tasty!! mmm brown trout in oatmeal for breakfast )

I'm not convinced he would ever own up to wearing the life jacket/bouancy vest but I think he gave himself a real fright when he fell he certainly gave us one and I am just worried as he is one of those who likes to go to the places where no-one else fishes so he is usually on his own

I gave him a mobile last xmas but he wont take it as if it rings it spoils the peace and quiet!!!!

Will go search on net for a wading stick right now.
Oh yeah, mobiles i've been temted to toss mine in the water a few times so now it's switched off.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2007, 03:01 PM
If he's fishing the Isla and Esk then are you in Angus?

No shortage of lures on ebay plus loads of other tackle.

Have a word with the guy at Gows in Dundee if it's nearby, he's really informative.

Gows Fishing Tackle (Dundee)
12 Union Street, Dundee, DD1 4BH.
Tel : 01382 225427

What about a day's fishing somewhere as a gift ? perhaps with a ghillie ?

Perhaps somewhere on the Tay - January is just around the corner !
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
If he's fishing the Isla and Esk then are you in Angus?

No shortage of lures on ebay plus loads of other tackle.

Have a word with the guy at Gows in Dundee if it's nearby, he's really informative.

Gows Fishing Tackle (Dundee)
12 Union Street, Dundee, DD1 4BH.
Tel : 01382 225427

What about a day's fishing somewhere as a gift ? perhaps with a ghillie ?

Perhaps somewhere on the Tay - January is just around the corner !
Dad stays just up the road from where you work!! but he's a mamber of the kirriemuir fishing club. I phoned Gows today, didn't ask about the lures as felt stupid as I have no idea what I am talking about I just know there was a type of lure that he says he can never find now and he isalways on the lookout for them. He asked in that shop on the corner in ullapoll (the one that sells everything) and the guy said if dad could find any anywhere to buy them and he'd pay dad double what he bought them for as they were in great demand and not made anymore Gows did give me good info about bouyancy vests but they were £79...I know a small price to save a life but a dear price if it lay in fishing bag coz he too proud to wear it!!!

Oh how I wish I could remember the name of the lures!!!

I'm not sure about the ghillie idea...its a good one, but dad doesn't tend to like people He'd rather go away fishing for the day on his own where noone can speak to him or bother him etc etc!!!!

Mum bought him a days fishing from the boat at Piperdam (coupar Angus Road) and he didnt use it because it in his opinion wasnt sport as you KNOW there are fish in there as it is stocked!!

Wonder who I get my stubborn streak from
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 03:21 PM
It's not the Kynoch Killer he's looking for is it ?

If so he'll have a job getting one.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
It's not the Kynoch Killer he's looking for is it ?

If so he'll have a job getting one.
That doesn't sound familiar.

I am sure it either had minnow or silver in the name!!! Helpful amn't I!!!

But looking on ebay silver minnows, in fact minnows of all kind seem to be 10 a penny
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2007, 03:28 PM
.......Heddon Minnow ?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
.......Heddon Minnow ?
Could be

Is that rare and for salmon or trout!!!

I phoned mum as she used to fish too and she says she knows exactly what I mean but doesn't know the name!!! Aren't we helpful!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >