Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:32 AM

York Christmas Market

Most of you have heard of me gassing on about my mate of 31 years, Jackie.

Every year for the last five years, she and I have gone to a Christmas Market. I drive, and we usually stay two nights. Last year was Lincoln and it was fab!

This year we are going to the York one. Trouble is, we actually prefer to stay in Harrogate, so shall be commuting between the two.

Harrogate has a lovely little theatre, and we shall be seeing some kind of show - doesn't matter what really - as long as it's entertainment.

Jackie always makes a dinner bag up for the journey, filled with lovely rolls, pork pies, little sausages, etc. etc. We also take a huge pump flask full of coffee. With at least two stops on the way it'll take a good 6 or so hours.

This year we are staying for three nights, travelling up on Thursday next week. If we get time, we may nip to Pateley Bridge, which is a very pretty place between Harrogate and York.

We save up every week - Jackie is the keeper of the Mickey Mouse tin (an old savings tin from the 1960's) - and the night before we go, we divvy up the money.

We have a "dinner purse" to which we both contribute a large amount of money and all "expenses" come out of that - whatever money is left after that is ours to waste as we want . What Jackie doesn't know is that I've saved up double the amount - my own secret stash - and I'm going to split this with her - she's going to be so surprised, I can't wait to see the look on her face.

A substantial "dinner purse" is a must when travelling north, as there will be several visits to Betty's tea rooms for scrummy things like scrambled egg and smoked salmon, cinammon muffins and just about every other thing on the menu .

Whilst I'm away, Jackie (yes, another one) AKA Wufflehoond will cover the morning posts for me. Baz will cope with the dogs, and Margaret (neighbour) will come in and let them out at lunchtimes on the three days I'm away.

I shall be back on Sunday 2nd December, poorer but happier

Can't wait
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Sounds great. I've been to the York Christmas market years ago and really enjoyed it. My Mum lives not far from York so she often goes and she loves it as well. Betty's tea rooms, memories, many years ago when I was just a nipper I used to go in there with my mum and Grandma. Hope you have a great time. xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sure I remember your trip from last year.... and you had a great time then!
Didn't you get a nice silver bracelet???
I do remember it was a lovely thread to read as almost like going myself .
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:36 PM
The silver bracelet was actually my birthday present from Baz, Becky. Last year at Lincoln I bought a beautiful evening scarf, and some gorgeous hand made mint soap. I'm sure I'll find loads to spend the money on
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Hope you both have a brilliant time, it sounds the perfect way to spend a few days on the run up to Christmas. Have a ball x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks Lorna.

We're both really excited. You wouldn't know we are "ladies of a certain age" - we're like a pair of teenagers counting down the days and hours
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 05:13 PM
How many sleeps is it now Vicki lol
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
How many sleeps is it now Vicki lol
Oh, how could you mock me?