Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Help

Could anyone help me. I recieved photos of my new pup, a Bearded Collie, she is at present only eight weeks old, my daughter took one look, and said thats not a Beardie. My qestion is can how puppies look change rapidly. Its just that we went to a Bearded Collie Fun day just a week ago and met a puppy who was forteen weeks, six weeks older than ours, and jkl;
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Have you looked on the Bearded Collie Official Website. Alot of the difference is growth in coat. Also is your pup from Show or work lines as again there is a difference
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I think they can change quite rapidly at that age... I wouldn't have thought it'd be so much so that it didn't look at all like one (but then I have dallies and you can see your pup at 5 weeks and recognise it again at 10!)

Also, please don't take this the wrong way but I've met pups and dogs of really bad standard that don't look much like what they're supposed to look like! In fact - a smooth collie owner at training didn't recognise someone else's smooth collie pup because it just didn't look anything like his smooth collies!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Ah good point Megan! Again - dallies don't really change cos show lines are working lines!
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Please please don't be put off by a pic of a beardie pup looking very different from a grown beardie. I remember as a very small child being really confused when we bought our first family beardie at how these black and white short haired pups could quickly become long haired slate beardies - but it does happen. They grow inccredibly quickly at that age with changes not just in size but their coats.
I am assuming that what you are describing is a short haired dark pup that doesn't look like a beardie. Maybe it would help if you posted the pic - or pm'd me and i could help confirm. Or phone the breeder?
Hope that helps!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Could be a working lines pup which do look very different to show lines
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi folks, now I feel like a bit of a plank, I got quite concerned, obviously I did't want to be fdatravellin all the way to Wales ect. So I e-mailed the breeder saying that a grain of doubt had been sown in my mind by a comment my daughter had made. As soon aas she got the message she did phone me back to reassure us that yes indeed she was a Beardie but shedid take after her mum in having a narrower nose, and that by the time the fur has grown we will not be able to notice. Narrow noses in Beardies, is this more common in the working strain of the breed?
Sarah
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't know about the narrow nose as there are very few "working" beardies around. Is it just the shape of the nose you are worried about?! It would be really helpful if you could post or even pm the picture - it's very hard to give an opinion when i am not sure what you are worried about.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mcpherson View Post
I don't know about the narrow nose as there are very few "working" beardies around. Is it just the shape of the nose you are worried about?! It would be really helpful if you could post or even pm the picture - it's very hard to give an opinion when i am not sure what you are worried about.
My thoughts exactly. And agree there are very few working bearded collies, most are pets or show dogs. Hope you can put up some pic's love to see them
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
if you want to email a pic to one of us we can put it up for you if you having a problem hun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >