Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Another point no one i dont think has said dobermans ..
They would have been high on my list...
Dobermanns were not originally bred to guard property as most seem to think. The dobe was 'designed' to guard the owner/handler. Just because numbers are not high on certain sports (in the UK) for the breed people seem to have the impression that this quality has been lost. I can tell you now from experience, it has NOT. Although no doubt they suffered from fashion too!
miles1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2011, 04:03 PM
the best guard dog is english bulldog no doubt
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Are their any other dogs that were bred to protect one person?
Herr Doberman did a good job ..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Are their any other dogs that were bred to protect one person?
Herr Doberman did a good job ..
as far as I am aware there has not been another dog/temprement developed specifically for this task, as you will know, the GSD etc were not bred for this and are not used soley or specifically for this unless someone decides to train them in PP etc

apparently when Herr Dobermann passed his cousin carried on the development of the breed closer to what we see today
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2011, 04:16 PM
He added a black greyhound to the mix didnt he ?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
now that i agree with!!! lol
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I worked in a stables once where they had a cockerel as a guard. No-one went near his territory without wellies and a pitchfork to fend him off, trust me. Evil little beggar!
Geese are scary, they have stopped me taking the dogs down a lane before and I worked on a farm where I had to lock a few cockerels out of the sheds so I could collect the eggs.

I have a rabbit that will chase people when he's out in the garden...

RE Dogs,

Any dog could be a good guard dog - any loyal dog would be. Sadie often fends off the window cleaner - until he gives her a fuss.

OH's GSD x is the best guarder. But saying that Terriers are awfully good too.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:20 PM
He added a black greyhound to the mix didnt he ?
There are no 'hard copies' on which breeds he used. He had access to a lot of dogs (being the 'dog catcher' as well as the tax collector)

Dogs that are reputed to have been used are (amongst other) black greyhound, manchester terrier, rottweiller, weimeraner, beauceron, german pinscher, dogs from the dog market...and the butchers dog! There are a lot of dogs considered to be recognised to have been used within the breed but there are bound to be more that arent! (with no records)

I was looking around for 'early' dobermann pics...I will post links in another thread if anyone is interested (dont want to saboutage the thread!)
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Have been wondering/thinking about this(maybe not best idea ) but would any intruder be detered(without seeing them initialy) by the noise any dog was making or would seeing a large breed dog deter them more. I've had folk knock on the door n then stand at the end of the drive without knowing what dog/s are in here(sorry if going off topic), little dogs can make a big noise (n be protective like any other)but large dogs seem to bring different reaction n folk less likely to continue with whatever intent.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:53 PM
ok need to go out now but here is a link I found Murf, I can't 'advocate' the site as in a rush etc but here is a little on background and images of the earlier dobes...

http://www.bravodoberman.com/history.html

K9PAW - yes I think a noisy dog can be a deterrant

there are people that will sneak around your home stealing while you sleep and a noisy dog cant let that happen!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:55 PM
My mum said her friend owned a Dobie who let a burgular in in the middle of the night - let him do what they wanted - they found him sat in their arm chair in the morning - the dog didn't let him out the door - that's probably the best guard dog - police can find the thief easier.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >