View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SRS Scotland
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

12-06-2011, 05:12 PM
yep, probably one of the highest reasons for why dogs are rehomed, it doesnt have to be the owner either, had a few grannies getting rid of their dogs cos the baby will be at their house etc !!! Just smacks of losing interest in the dog tbh.

Dont get me wrong its quite hard work with both and a newborn, but one of the most enjoyable things for me was getting out the house, luca all snuggled in his buggy and walking bruno for 2 hours !!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
One of my pet hates!! When I fell pregnant I had a mad GSP called Lizzie who wasn't at all aggressive in any way but was devoted to me, and I was very worried that she would be terribly jealous of the new arrival. I did all the right things - never ever ever left them alone together, always watched Lizzie like a hawk when she was in the baby's presence, made sure she didn't lick her, etc. etc. After I had been back home with my daughter a couple of days, I decided to show her off to the butcher in the village, so tucked her into her pram, put Lizzie on her lead and set off up the lane to the shop. I tied Lizzie up outside and went into the shop to fetch the butcher and his wife to coo over my daughter. Lizzie had always adored this couple - what dog doesn't like a butcher - but as they approached the pram, she turned into a wild animal and all but took their heads off! SHE was protecting HER baby and they was no way they were going to come anywhere near the pram. I had to untie her and walk away so they could come close and have a coo. I needn't have worried, she guarded the baby with her life, sitting proudly beside the pram, guarding. It was a very pleasant surprise, although sadly Lizzie was run over and killed not that long after my daughter was born.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Well said.

Yes I can well imagine that some folk get offended when you ask about their plans for having children.

Most people hopefully are fine with the question once they understand the rationale for your asking it?
Yes, thankfully just about all realise it make sense, especially when I explain my main concern is that any dog I place should have a home for life.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I hate when people use that excuse, if it is a genuine case then I understand things can happen but if its just a case of wanting rid, then I think it is horrible! I have Jake, and I plan to have kids in the future, but there is no way Jake is going anywhere!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 12:17 PM
We're talking to a fair few rescue bods at the moment for a second dog - I've no objections them asking us for plans for a kid - but they DO get the flat answer that it's very unlikely I can have them, but even if I do I was brought up that you don't ever give up on a family member - even including those with fur.

I have NO respect for those who use dogs or cats as surrogate babies then ditch them when the real thing's on the way at all - and I'll berlumming well let rip if they say that sort of stuff in front of me.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Dog (to many people) are just disposable commodities, when lifestyle changes or dog dosent grow up quite they way they think it should then its perfectly OK just to pass the dog on to someone else

I am interested to see that everyone holds their hands up in disgust when its due to having a baby, but when the dog turns out to be not good enough for a hobby or is to old for it then its perfectly OK to pass the dog on
Surly a baby is more important than a hobby?

Personaly for me a dog is for life, yes something unforseen may crop up on the future and sometimes a person has to make the heartbreaking decision to rehome their dog

But for people who KNOW that at some point in the dogs lifetime something is likely to happen and when it does they will no longer want that dog in their lives - then they should not take the pup
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I think people have many reasons for "passing on" a dog, we are not all the same, we all dont feel the same about animals, and personally I dont get to wound up abut the reasons they do get rid, because at the end of the day, the dogs welfare is all that counts, as long as its in a lovign home, it doesn't matter if that home is the firs tor the third!

I would much rather someone saw their own failings or simply admit that said dog in no longer wanted/needed, and see it finds a home that does want it.

We seem to take the moral view that a dog should be for life, but its the life that counts not the amount of time you have owned it.

As a case I know of, a couple have a baby and the two resident dogs now live in the garage..... but thats OK , because we have not re homed them, it can be claimed, "we would never get rid " simply due to having a baby, but what life have the dogs got, they are walked, but live a solitary life in the garage..

Condemning those who re home due to what ever reason is all very well, but what needs to be the first thought is , the dogs welfare, if its not getting what it needs in one home, why keep it there just so you can say , "its for life" surely the dog is what matters, and life has no guarantees, and people dont always follow through on what they see as permanent..

So in short, I dont feel disgust or condemn those who dont keep a dog, I just take the view a dog is happy in a loving home, and thats all that counts!
SRS Scotland
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think people have many reasons for "passing on" a dog, we are not all the same, we all dont feel the same about animals, and personally I dont get to wound up abut the reasons they do get rid, because at the end of the day, the dogs welfare is all that counts, as long as its in a lovign home, it doesn't matter if that home is the firs tor the third!

I would much rather someone saw their own failings or simply admit that said dog in no longer wanted/needed, and see it finds a home that does want it.

We seem to take the moral view that a dog should be for life, but its the life that counts not the amount of time you have owned it.

As a case I know of, a couple have a baby and the two resident dogs now live in the garage..... but thats OK , because we have not re homed them, it can be claimed, "we would never get rid " simply due to having a baby, but what life have the dogs got, they are walked, but live a solitary life in the garage..

Condemning those who re home due to what ever reason is all very well, but what needs to be the first thought is , the dogs welfare, if its not getting what it needs in one home, why keep it there just so you can say , "its for life" surely the dog is what matters, and life has no guarantees, and people dont always follow through on what they see as permanent..

So in short, I dont feel disgust or condemn those who dont keep a dog, I just take the view a dog is happy in a loving home, and thats all that counts!
i know what your getting at and the sentiment is good, however I think people think that they give their wee dog up because its not getting the attention etc since babies arrival or whatever, that its going to be so much better off ... however in the case at present with too many dogs not enough homes and lots of pounds PTS especially bull breeds, this simply isnt the case. So many great natured animals are put to sleep because people just take the easy route.

They kid themselves on that their lovely dog is sittiong in a warm home somewhere but in actual fact its languishing in kennels or worse.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:36 PM
so its perfectly OK for someone to get a dog knowing full well in the next couple of years they plan to have kids and will get rid of the dog? Cos they have space in their lives now and for the next couple of years for a dog??

and then of course it might not end up in a loving home, it could get passed on to 6 different homes before getting put to sleep in a rescue

yes of course the owners should ALSO be making sure that they are the best home they can be for the dog - not dumping it in a garage

If someone dosent have the time to commit to the lifetime of a dog then why not foster or offer to help neighbours out with their dogs

tbh I think it is a sad reflection on society in general, get what we want right now with no thought for the future and just dump it when bored

people should do that with kids too
have a baby then when it dosent fit in with their lifestyle have it adopted - cos a STABLE home dosent matter - just a loving one for the moment

sorry this is a forum for dog lovers - so I will continue to condem people who treat dogs as disposable commodities
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Sadly i think people take the dog cos it fits till something better (the baby) comes along.

I know a young couple who have just had their baby (3 weeks early), they have a bouncy 18month old big gsd cross dog, and they are managing just fine, they have no plan to rehome the dog, i guess if an allergy does appear then they may have no choice, but they are coping well with a big dog and a baby.

I think those that get rid are bored with the dog cos they were waiting for the baby.

I can see that if the dog goes to someone who will love it and give it attention then maybe it is not all bad, but to just leave to a rescue to deal with or worse still pts, then i think that is a sad thing to do with what should be your beloved dog.

short of saying any young couple who wants a baby in the future cant have a dog tho it is i suppose better than those that dont match the decor as a reason for rehoming!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >