Our sister sites
Our sister sites
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:09 PM

Lump on foot / thorn injury

Hi there,
One of my dogs has developed a small lump on the top of her foot. A few weeks ago she got a thorn stuck in her pad, this was removed but left a little wound which we bathed with salt water and has now healed. The foot doesnt give any discomfort, Our vet has told us to keep an eye on the lump but in the meantime I wondered if anyone else had any experience or advice on this?
Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Hallo Waggytail can you describe the lump, colour/size/texture.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi There Minihaha

Description...Um well,its about the size of a large pea, however not particulary rounded? it feels quite hard but is moveable, can't really tell the colour because of fur, I can press it quite firmly without her worrying about it?
Meg
Supervisor

07-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by waggytail View Post
Hi There Minihaha

Description...Um well,its about the size of a large pea, however not particulary rounded? it feels quite hard but is moveable, can't really tell the colour because of fur, I can press it quite firmly without her worrying about it?
..it isn't pink then

I was thinking of a Histiocytoma , a benign growth which is often found on the foot and in many instances goes in about three months.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_(dog)

How old is your dog. Didn't the vet say what it might be ?
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
No, The foot is otherwise normal, skin, fur etc all looks fine just a noticeable "bump" on the top of her foot.

The vet thinks it may be related to the thorn injury, a reaction to the thorn, a bit of an infection, or possibly some of the thorn is still inside (Body will eventually break this down) they offered anti-biotics if we were concerned it wasn't improving by itself.
Meg
Supervisor

07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by waggytail View Post
No, The foot is otherwise normal, skin, fur etc all looks fine just a noticeable "bump" on the top of her foot.

The vet thinks it may be related to the thorn injury, a reaction to the thorn, a bit of an infection, or possibly some of the thorn is still inside (Body will eventually break this down) they offered anti-biotics if we were concerned it wasn't improving by itself.
It sounds like a little abscess then , I would keep an eye on it for any changes and check the foot doesn't seem hot or painful.