View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
ours have never been fed layers pellets.. they just have access to corn, grit, have regular scraps and are free range.. they lay well (the ones that aren't ancient!) in the sumer, but we get very few if any in winter.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
ours have never been fed layers pellets.. they just have access to corn, grit, have regular scraps and are free range.. they lay well (the ones that aren't ancient!) in the sumer, but we get very few if any in winter.
Myself and the OH are scouring the net for some info on prices, lol. Im a abit anal with costings
Its that dark here in the winter I doubt we'd get much other than in the lighter mnths.

Does anyone use the powder that covers both mites/lice etc, or do you use seperate?
If so how often does this need done?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
We have hens and are hoping to get a few ex-battery before long.

Here is our set up

boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Talking about Hugh fernley whitingstals show.Put me well off and now only buy free range but guess what?Couldn't get one for love nor money today,not one was on the shelves,tiz a disgrace Suppose on the bright side they may have just sold out as peeps are buying the free range,xxxxxxxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
and the more that buy free range the cheaper it becomes as more farmers do free range!
Becky
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
My step-mum keeps chickens and ducks, and her cockerels are lovely (they're called Jack and Barnaby). She has two separate runs and chicken coops. They are fairly free range (each group has a pen about 24ft x 24ft - bigger than my living room! ) and their eggs are fabulous! The ducks have a separate run altogether with a converted whiskey barrel for a house.
The chucks get layers pellets, grit, corn and a mash when the weather is particularly nasty.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Went shopping thursday in tesco and couldn't for the life of us get a free range chicken, and I wouldn't buy the other sort after watching hugh on the box it's a shame, but as boobah said it's better at least people are now buying free range. xx toni xx
GOOD LUCK with the chickens,we used to give our's warm bread mash in the evening when it was cold, and then layers pellets in the day xx
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Well ive spent the last few hours reading up and found some great poultry forums. Managed to get some accurate costings aswell. Just need to ensure we can regularly source the consumables and find something as a coup. Oh and then find some birds
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2008, 12:02 AM
My stepmum bought one coop from the local Country Store, the duck's whiskey barrel from eBay (of all places!) and the second group of chickens live in a shed with some perches and nestboxes in.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I'd love to keep chickens, but with the amount of foxes here, they wouldn't stand a chance
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >