Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 08:59 PM

The Snow Leopard on Natural World

Anyone watch it??? What an absolutely amazing, captivating creature this is! NOw that's what I call a CAT!!!

What I didn't like is those scientists, sticking a collar on it, trapping it yet again and damaging it's legs, just for scientific purposes, and it's got to wear it for 2 years or more! Errrr WHY???? Why can't they just leave them alone then???? Why do we need to get information as to how far they travel, etc. etc.???? If they are as endangered and rare as they say, then why not leave the bl**dy things alone without sticking a damn great big collar on it that hinders their livelihood!!Grrrr. I'm not happy about that and nor were the film crew!

What a magnificent beast though, the camouflage was just out of this World and so was the filming of this programme. You MUST watch it if you get a 2nd chance!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm in two minds about the scientific side of it.

On the one hand, I agree, they should be left alone to get on with it without being hounded.

On the other hand, if we didn't know about their natural habits etc then they could be extinct and we wouldnt be any the wiser, and if they are as rare as they say, then maybe by following their habits they could see why they dont breed well or raise young well or arent thriving, and in that context, they could possible help !

I've seen programmes on them before and they are amazing, I think only 3 or 4 people have ever managed to get really good programmes done of them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I suppose I agree with you too with the scientific side of it perhaps. I think the cameramen did too, eventually, when they saw it make a kill - eventually. This is probably the best filming of it yet, because instead of spending days/weeks/months searching for it, they can now track it via satellite with this new collar on. The trouble with the collar is, it just doesn't match the surroundings, especially the two blue bits behind it's ears!!!! One of the crew, being Pakistani himself, has taken the trouble to show the filming to local villagers, who of course, considered this beast to be their enemy in the past because it was killing their mountain goats, so hopefully, they now see the snow leapard as their friend and it might stand more of a chance perhaps.

I was totally enthralled with the filming of this magnificent creature even though I have seen programmes before, this was by far the best capture of it. I am in awe!!!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
What channel was it on, I missed this one and would like to see it, I love natural history programmes, especially the ones about big cats and snow wildlife
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
What channel was it on, I missed this one and would like to see it, I love natural history programmes, especially the ones about big cats and snow wildlife
Only caught a bit of tonight's prog but here's the same team from tonight (earlier) with a snow leopard.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=y4iu0zdRw60

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/...l?vidID=pe0207
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow, it's amazing how both of those animals could navigate down that cliff at such speed.

I'm gonna try and catch a repeat of that progamme on one of the BBC channels.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
.... and those goats too careering down there at great speed!! It showed a couple of goats have a ruck, and they were almost on a sheer face of rock, but still landed on their feet everytime! You are I would have broken our necks falling down 2feet of it, let alone 50 like they were and that leopard!! Try and catch it on BBC2 or 3 it's bound to be repeated somewhen.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
I have to say I think Snow Leopards are probably the most beautiful of the big cats (I love leopards in any event) and are truely stunning creatures.
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Oh yes, and they had some really stunning close-ups of them just chilling, the eyes were bewitching! They seem to be a lot more heavyweight than a normal leopard too for some reason. Before every kill, as they charged down the mountainside, they would roll but they don't quite know why that is,but it seemed to coincide with an impending kill.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Helen you took the words out of my mouth. I was so angry when I saw them being captured and collared. Just leave them alone and let them lead their lives. I could not believe the close up pictures with those hugh great collars on and those terrible things they had clipped to their ears like a cow or a sheep would wear to identify them. It just spoiled their beauty. What a wonderful programme it was though, apart from those dreadful scientist.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >