View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I can honestly say I hate cats with a vengance, don't know why I just don't like them. I guess it's because my dad hates them too, he used to keep pigeons and the cats used to sit on top of the loft waiting for the pigeons to land, they did actually catch a few over time.

My MIL used to have a cat and it was so unpredictable, one minute lying on your lap purring away, the next sticking it's horrible claws into my legs.
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I adore cats. They have a lovely calm, quiet presence, and warm personalities. I can't help feeling sorry for them sometimes when people declare war on them or say they hate them. I assume that people who hate cats because they're 'aloof' or 'superior' are only going on the superficial exterior. I find something about cats a lot more sincere than the over-the- top affection from a dog.
Dogs are pack animals and gain a lot of satisfaction from keeping together with you, but don't really love you any more than cats- they're just louder and more playful (as social animals). That can actually go the other way and become intrusive and annoying.
There's also something about cats that some people don't 'get.' When you don't 'get' it cats obviously appear to be sort of creepy, aloof, teasy, lazy etc- all those negative things. But to people who do get it, they are amazing and VERY loving.
My three cats are all friendly. I've met some pretty bad tempered ones too- I've been bitten (badly), scratched (badly!), growled and spat at.... but to a sypathetic person such as myself, I can see they're innocent. I know how to hold them properly, because I understand how they feel, and move. You have to be sensitive and graceful. Some people just don't get it!! Dogs usually appeal to these people because they're all extrovert and playful and clumsy, but there are many more people, me included, who are in between and who can understand both.
They're great animals, which don't do themselves any favours by killing wildlife and all, but this can be controlled by using bells on their collars and suchlike.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Still don't like them, don't understand why they are allowed to come and c**p in my flower beds and pee up my plants, if my dogs did it I'm sure the dog wardens would be out in force and I would have thousands of £££'s of fines.

But I guess we all have our likes and dislikes and that's what makes the world more interesting, it would be boring if we all liked just dogs or cats.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I have two puss cats, they're great.

They're both about 10 years old now, hate my dogs with a passion but they're great.

I've done a little bit of clicker training with both of them and since they've been put on a good quality food (they're my mum's and I've finally persuaded her to let me buy them JWB), they've got lots of energy, love playing with me and although they don't like each other, they will both hang around my bedroom when I'm in there.

One of them has always been a bit superior, the other never has. Since I've been paying more attention to them, I've got back every little bit of work I've put into them - neither of them are superior with me, they love attention and hang on my every word!

That said, I prefer dogs - I just get more out of them but I can't imagine not having a cat... I'm hoping to get a siamese rescue when I leave here as I've had a siamese cross for a brief period and she was fantastic - they are the dallies of the cat world!!

Next time I get a cat it will have to be one used to dogs... I can't deal with my next cat doing the same as these do and standing behind the stairgate teasing the dogs!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
Still don't like them, don't understand why they are allowed to come and c**p in my flower beds and pee up my plants
I would like to point out that my cats have a 'litter area' in my garden Obviously I couldn't tell you if they go anywhere else but judging by the amount of cat sh!t my dogs eat every day from the kitty litter area, I'd say there was something wrong with them if they were going elsewhere too!!

I agree that there is something very calming about a cat's presence. I spend all day on the go with the dogs (popping upstairs now and then and seeing the cats!) and then at night I lay in bed with a cd, a good book, a glass of wine and a little furry purring away.

(It does wind me up when they knead at my quilt and cushions though!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

(It does wind me up when they knead at my quilt and cushions though!)
Aww, I love it when Tucker comes and gives me a 'massage'!

Serious what is it with dogs and eating cat cr@p? Dusty will get in the litter box for it if you aren't quick enough! :smt078
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:29 PM
LOL apparently, it tastes sweet...

I don't want to know who tested that theory!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not a cat person, but love my sister's cats and always make a beeline for them when I visit. My daughter also has a cat which I love.
Wouldn't have one though as I prefer the adoration of a dog
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I have only had the one cat, a pretty tea coloured tabby, that my 'friend' used to own, but she had fleas so her boyfriend was gonna throw her out... in the park ... so me being me, said I would have her.... she was aloof, hardly giving affection... I did love her... then I got Jamie... I have craved a dog for years, she went to pieces and after trying everything, she ended up in the vets on a drip... she wouldn't eat, drink, wee or poo.... she lost her faith in me, so I made the heartbreaking decision, to rehome her... she is now living with a 'cat' couple and is a spoilt princess I doubt I will own another cat... despite hankering after a Persian!!!!
mforster85
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
i love cats i loved my cat teeko til this morning when my naughty cat sneeked into my daughters room and did a pooh in her cot right next to her leg yuk
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >