Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2007, 10:47 PM

At what age did you choose your pup?

The pups are 3 weeks old on Tuesday and I have yet to choose the bitch I like. The breeder hasn't chosen the one she is going to keep yet but there are 5 bitches, 2 of which I think I like.

If you followed a litter from an early age, how old were the pups when you decided which one you wanted? The pups looked like guinea pigs last week so had no idea which one I wanted. I think by 3 weeks they will look more like fluffy, teddy bears but I wondered how many weeks it was until you knew.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Maddy was 2 weeks and it was sooooooooo difficult! I don't envy you for that!
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
There's no way I could have chosen at 2 weeks, just no way. I think I might wait until I go to Scotland, hopefully next weekend and choose then. I'm gonna be like a kid in a sweet shop, I can see it now. I want that one, no, I want that one.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
i picked mine at 4wks and oh he is a sweety....lol cant wait to see pics
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I chose all mine at 5 weeks, but it's very difficult to judge which one's the best, they all look so charming.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:11 PM
I know they will all be beautiful, gonna have a job choosing. I think I'll ask the breeder to help as I don't want the most boisterous pup, nor do I want the most quiet. Mind you, they are Akitas so I doubt any will be shy!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
There's no way I could have chosen at 2 weeks, just no way. I think I might wait until I go to Scotland, hopefully next weekend and choose then. I'm gonna be like a kid in a sweet shop, I can see it now. I want that one, no, I want that one.
I had to as I had first choice and other people on the list were wanting to choose and reserve their pups. Ideally i'd have liked to choose at 4 weeks, but even so, the way they progressed i'd have probably went for the same pup as she still looked the 'best' show potential when I went to get her at 7 weeks old.

I was right though she is a cracker, just her temperament lets her down but that is of no fault of her breeding.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Max was 3 days old We had to choose as the rest of the litter was being docked.

I knew I wanted Murphy from a day old, but that was easy as he was the only brindle in the litter. Shame it took me 7 and a half weeks to persuade OH to get him!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Sorry finger trouble
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2007, 07:27 AM
With Dalmatians, they grow so unevenly that it's hard to tell at an early age. However, at five weeks they temporarily "fall into place" and you get a very good idea of what the conformation will be when they are adults. You then have to wait another week until the hearing tests are done, so it's always good to have a first and second choice.
It doesn't always work that way though. I knew Polly from day 1 and she always did stand out from the litter in all respects. I didn't see Polo until he was three months old and Deccy was six MONTHS old when I first saw him!
I am off to see a litter a week today, can't wait!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >