View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Housetraining - let the pup out in the middle of the night?

Who Thinks You Should Get Up In The Middle Of The Night To Let The Dog Out ?
Or Should You Just Go Staight Through To Early Morning,
My Dog Only Does A Poop On The Paper By The Back Door Because, He Tends Only To Go A Pee When I Put Him Out Last Thing At Night.
Any Suggestions ?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2006, 11:01 AM
If a puppy needs out I think you should get up and let them out

Ive been very lucky with my two, they nearly always slept through the night and it was only a couple of times that I had to get up and take them out in the middle of the night.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 11:06 AM
If a puppy needs to go for a wee in the middle of the night i think you should wake up and let him out.
Meg
Supervisor

12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by linds1917
Who Thinks You Should Get Up In The Middle Of The Night To Let The Dog Out ?
Or Should You Just Go Staight Through To Early Morning,
My Dog Only Does A Poop On The Paper By The Back Door Because, He Tends Only To Go A Pee When I Put Him Out Last Thing At Night.
Any Suggestions ?
Hi linds It depends how quickly you wish to housetrain your puppy, the choice is yours..
I wouldn't expect a baby to go all night without relieving itself and I don't expect a puppy to either. I think it is up to me to teach a puppy where to go, it won't know otherwise .So I get up for the few short weeks it may take to housetrain and I teach my puppy where I wish it to go. In a matter of days/ weeks I have a puppy that will be clean outside for the rest of its life...to me getting up and a little inconvenience is a small price to pay.

Here is a Dogweb article on houstraining..
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/hou...uppy_8974.html
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I am getting up to go to the toilet and this morning was at 2.20, I feel shattered but is quite rewarding, she is already asking to go to the toilet so far we have had one accident and that is a bonus
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Takara learnt to ask to go out this way.

I would wait to go to bed until midnight or gone so that I could put her to bed at about 10-ish and then take her out again before I went to bed, and then I'd get up at 4am, but then she'd have an accident on the paper in her crate between 12 and 4am. Whenever I tried different times, she'd already done it so she did wet her paper in her crate but...

Then, she started crying to go out instead of wetting her crate so I would wake up when she cried and take her out, then she was able to hold it and wouldn't wake up until morning.

I think, until your puppy is able to hold it, you should do you best to take it out. It's not the puppy's fault it can't hold it.

By being shut in her crate, and not wanting to wet it, Takara would cry and has since learnt that she can tell us she needs the loo.

But yes, I slept with one eye open and whenever she cried, I got up to let her out.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

12-04-2006, 11:56 AM
I got up for the first week at about 4am She is now holding until 6.30am and she's only 10 weeks old, she now cries in the morning to go out. Never soiled her crate but i didnt put paper in.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi,
We have a young 10 week old staffy pup too,his breeder had started housetraining the litter before we had him at 8 weeks,hubby wanted to start paper training but i said no,and we just took him outside.
At night we had been getting up during the night to let him out for a wee then put him back in his crate,no playing or anything just straight back to bed.
Now we tend to go to bed about 12-12.30 and he his managing to hold on till about 6-6.30.I think having him in a crate at night has helped us a great deal with toilet training.He has never used it as a toilet and he cries if he needs to go out during the night.
Sal
linds1917
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone, hes clean through the day and rarely has accidents. he nearly always asks to go out. but like i said i normally but him out at 12am when i go to bed and im up by 6am. but hes always done a doode. he hanst a crate just his bed in the dinning room. and a piece of paper at the door. i will try it. tonight i will get up at 3, & fill you in in the morning, lookin like dracula.... good job you cant see me. lol )
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Think that depends on the owner and the owners life, if you find it no problem to get up in the night then that is a good way to go, if you need your sleep to function then have your sleep and clean up in good grace in the morning, in case you are wondering I belong to the latter type.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >