View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dtburton75
New Member!
Male 

23-01-2015, 02:21 PM
I know what you are saying and I am not saying to take away all human /dog interaction. A person does need to do that or they will never have control. However if your shoulders can't handle it like mine than tugging is out of the question. There are other ways to teach a dog obedience without using a tug toy to say "drop it" this can be easily done and better done with treats. When I get a pup the first thing I do is take a big treat away with drop it command after giving it and give it right back. They learn a lot quicker that way.
I also feel that a dog is not going to pull more than it feels like. If they are tired or bored they quit.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2015, 10:59 PM
If the tugging dog lets go how fast and how hard does the pole snap back. I'd be worried a dog standing in the wrong place could be hurt?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2015, 02:11 AM
I repeat though on the need for two toys to pull. If my two were in the first video and Callie had the toy, Sophie would eventually snarl at him to get the toy and he would be afraid to play with it again.
dtburton75
New Member!
Male 

24-01-2015, 06:29 AM
It's all in the owners discretion. You could put four toys out if you want, might be fun to watch actually. Lol

The toy doesn't have a lot of force when let go. It tends to fall dead but of course it depends too on how much weight you have on it. I have chosen to use light toys for this reason. The pole itself is a urethane that is very dense , so it doesn't have a sling shot effect to it. All of these things where thought out in the design. I have spent a whole summer watching this prototype in action and have yet to see a hurt dog.

This is a video of the toy being snapped.

Tug a dog being snapped: http://youtu.be/AXZPUqzSgaU
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Looks good! I have a feeling neither of my dogs would have any interest in it, though. My girl certainly would have no interest in it, and my boy is a chaser and would likely bore of it quickly. Also judging by how it has to be rooted into the ground etc, it kinda looks like it would cost more than I am willing to pay. I'm sure pitties and other tug loving breeds would adore it, though.
dtburton75
New Member!
Male 

26-01-2015, 05:26 PM
What I've done with dogs that lose interest with toys fast is make the knot on the rope so eventually it gives the toy up. This way the dog won and you can reset the game later.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2