Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xantus11
New Member!
Male 

13-01-2015, 01:38 PM

Need help with choosing a breed!

Hi, I'm really confused about which dog breed to choose, and I need some help. Conditions:
1) I live in a high rise apartment, so must be able to live in a smaller area, although I can easily take him around few times a day around the apartment premises, plenty of space.
2) Although I'm fine with it, my mom is not agreeable with dogs having strong odour. I'd really like a lab or a golden retriever or such but they tend to smell quite a bit (I know a lab owner, and his house just stinks), so any suggestions on dogs like that?
3) I live in moderate climate conditions
4) I'd like friendly and affectionate dogs, not adverse to strangers, and not too hard to train.
5) I'm willing to spend a lot of time with him, and most of the times someone will be there around him.
6) I just love cute dogs :')
What breeds would you suggest?
Any other conditions, let me know.
Thanks a lot
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Hello Xantus welcome.
I would say a main consideration when choosing a breed should be to look at the purpose for which they were original bred.
So a gun dog like a Lab or GR would not really be suited to a life in an apartment. Ideally they need lots of exercise and mental stimulation if they are not going to be bored and maybe destructive.

I would look for a smaller breed more suited to a sedentary lifestyle .
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2015, 03:18 AM
How about a grey hound?
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Hiya, there are a lot of factors.

1) what floor do you live on?
2) how much exercise can you give the dog?
3) Along with a lot of energy and needing mental stimulation, Labs and Goldens do not do well with stairs. Majorly as a puppy and senior.
4) how small is to small and how big is to big? (Please remember Mastiff make great apartment dogs, but don't do stairs well, and no one wants to try to carry a Lab let alone up flights of stairs, but on the other hand many small dogs by breed can have extremely high energy with seemingly no off switch no matter how much exercise you give them).
5) have you check breed and size restrictions?
6) Do you want a cuddle only dog or something you could show or compete in events with like agility?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Labs do just fine with stairs. Both my lab mixes go up and down fine, no need for carrying. That is absurd. Labs are known for adapting very well. If you have tons of time to spend, the dog cannot get mega destructive and you can train and play with him.

My current Labby guy is mixed with great Pyrenees and he does not stink and sheds a ton less than my Gsd mix. He gets baths, but admittedly they are for me, and not him, I love a shampoo smelling dog. I've noticed altered dogs stink wayyyyyy less than entire dogs.

Dead hair stinks, so keep a slicker brush around. If you do your research and make tons of time, you can own any breed you like. Try a shelter perhaps, too. My lab, great Pyrenees mix is more gentle and calmer than pure labs, works great for me.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Labs can live fine in flats, as can any breed. But Labs can suffer with hip problems, so if you go for a Lab and health tested one is a must.
In flats dogs have to be taken out to go to the loo, they probably get more walks than some dogs that live in houses.

Maybe a Shih Tzu. Papillons are also little and cute.
Someone already mentioned Greyhounds, what about a Beagle?.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Labs ad goldens grow quite rapidly as pups, they have soft leg bones as a pup, most apartment/high rise steps are not carpeted or padded, hence not good for the pup.
Labs and goldens can suffer from hip and elbow dys, hence not good for them as seniors.
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Labs do just fine with stairs. Both my lab mixes go up and down fine, no need for carrying. That is absurd. Labs are known for adapting very well. If you have tons of time to spend, the dog cannot get mega destructive and you can train and play with him.

My current Labby guy is mixed with great Pyrenees and he does not stink and sheds a ton less than my Gsd mix. He gets baths, but admittedly they are for me, and not him, I love a shampoo smelling dog. I've noticed altered dogs stink wayyyyyy less than entire dogs.

Dead hair stinks, so keep a slicker brush around. If you do your research and make tons of time, you can own any breed you like. Try a shelter perhaps, too. My lab, great Pyrenees mix is more gentle and calmer than pure labs, works great for me.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2015, 07:50 PM
LMost is correct in what he says, you would be better off subjecting dysplasic and/or heavyweight breeds to stairs as little as you can get away with. I cant say I've noticed intact dogs smelling more or less than desexed ones but it will ruin the quality of the coat almost without fail, whether this is an issue to a given owner is entirely a matter for them however.