Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Una Breaking - with Pics!

Im just starting Una's "education" undersaddle. Was thinking some people might find it interesting. This is the first time i've broken a horse myself, i've schooled youngsters for selling and stuff, but this will be the first i have done all myself!! So... Could be a learning curve for me AND una!

Anyway, i just threw Una in the deep end! She had a little bit of long reining yesterday (she did well, but shes a bit slow! lol), no pics of that though as i didnt have a spare person!

Anyway, today we tried tacking up properly. She'd had a saddle on previously, but not with the girth done up properly... She didnt even flinch:

And then i took her for a short walk around the garden which she enjoyed:

And then i did some leaning over her (no pics as my photographer was holding her lol!!) and she was fine with that... And then... I SAT ON HER!!!!!

I am SO pleased with her! She stood nicely while i got on, trotted a few paces (im not exactly skinny so it was probably a shock!!) and then just stood there in the garden for a couple of mins with me on her back while i just spoke to her and patted her, and got a pic of course!! I only sat on her for 2 mins max, but she was really really good! I am SO pleased. A very positive start!!

Excuse the cheesy grin!

I plan to do this, and about 10 mins long reining every night and see how she copes with that, she didnt seem phased in the slightest so im very pleased!

Here she is afterwards - scratches and fuss and chatting to labradors!!lol

Thats my mum lol

What do we think? Good start for a novice?? ME i mean, not una! lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 02:02 PM
well done hun, she looks like shes coping very well,

are you going to do some grid work with her to help her with balance? it can really help a young horse when learning to cope with the added weight of a rider.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 02:11 PM
At the moment im just getting her used to having the weight on her back, im not even asking her to move. I will probably start off just hacking her as i plan to turn her away for a year next year just to think it all over, and as i hope to put her in foal next year it will work quite well. Then when she comes back from tht she will start the proper working with gridwork like you say, to get her ready to do some dressage and showing
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Just a few more pics from this. I havent done much more with her due to being busy with the puppies but theres no rush. I've sat on her about 3 or 4 times now, she will happily stand for me to get on, walk a circle and halt. No fuss and no stress from her which is good!!

These pics were taken a few weeks ago but i do quite like them lol Una looks pretty! Thought i'd share!

And standing nicely to be untacked:

honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 10:04 AM
What a good start. She is lovely and what a good girl! love the one where you are giving her a scratch!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Thank you! She is a star
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh I just love seeing photo's of Una, she is just such a gorgeous horse. She is coming on leaps and bounds, well done for bringing her on so well
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Thank you Lore

I cant wait to get her out and about hacking and stuff! I will finally get to show off my beautiful Black Beauty
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 02:09 PM
She is gorgeous! Reminds me of a horse from College, but Una is far prettier!!

She looks like such a good horse to back! I bet she is excited to get out hacking with you!!

x
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 02:43 PM
She is a stunner, lovely!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >