Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by lesleyo View Post
mine has two blue eyes, partially hidden by his fringe. he is entire and the other dogs are older males.

bitkin, that sort of thing has crossed my mind, in the wild dont they set upon the weak?? if the dogs are clever enough to sense illness and on set of siezures in humans they must be able to sense it in other dogs? he hasnt been bitten or set upon, yet, just growled at.
then i would say theres your reasons

the other males smell his entire hormones but cannot assuage that with a clear and secure understanding of his facial expressions, so they growl.

in simple parlance, your dog is giving off vibes
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
then i would say theres your reasons

the other males smell his entire hormones but cannot assuage that with a clear and secure understanding of his facial expressions, so they growl.

in simple parlance, your dog is giving off vibes
I wonder if it can be that simple? If so, there would be a great number of hairy faced dogs constantly being threatened, surely the signals are so complex that they do not rely entirely on the eyes? Body posture, tail position, gait etc. etc.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I still favour the weakness thing Lesleyo. It would be a fascinating subject to study, but definitely not at the expense of your own dog!!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I think dogs know when other dogs are not 100% 'ok'. I'm sure it's nothing your dog has done. My very placid jrt puppy attacked another dog at training - totally out of character. The other dog has a brain disorder and lots of things wrong with her and some of the dogs seem to know. Dan had a go at a Newf not long ago, also unprovoked and out of character. The owner said her dog had epilepsy among other problems and it happens a lot. Some dogs will have a go at dogs which are not 'normal' (sorry, not sure how to word it ) and they probably sense that he is different because of his deafness. Also the fact that he doesn't react to the growls will not help the situation!

On the other hand, some dogs just don't like pups, full stop.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I wonder if it can be that simple? If so, there would be a great number of hairy faced dogs constantly being threatened, surely the signals are so complex that they do not rely entirely on the eyes? Body posture, tail position, gait etc. etc.
i wonder why it cant be that simple

ie, why not the obvious instead of the complex theory?

also i said it was the facial expression issue combined with the entire hormonal smell
lesleyo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:12 PM
i was about to ask if anyone else had similar experiences, this has really grabbed my imagination now.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i wonder why it cant be that simple

ie, why not the obvious instead of the complex theory?

also i said it was the facial expression issue combined with the entire hormonal smell
I just don't think that it is an obvious explanation, that's all.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by lesleyo View Post
i was about to ask if anyone else had similar experiences, this has really grabbed my imagination now.
It will be interesting to compare the like (such as myself and lokismum) with other theories
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I wonder if it is because he doesn't have a tail so they can't read his body language? Is he docked? That with not being able to see the eyes combined?

We have a Kerry Blue terrier who we show so he has to have all that hair in front of his eyes but we tie it back in a bobble or plait so he can see properly. The breeders said he could see anyway but he had an accident on the park as I threw his ball and he didn't see the 1 foot high metal fence and crashed straight into it and lay on the ground whimpering for a minute poor thing!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Is your dog black?
Is there something about black dogs? My dog's all black and never had a problem with another dog. She's usually the one doing warning growls, not the other way around.

I don't know if this helps at all, but Suzanne Clothier wrote a great article about this. I wonder if your dog doesn't approach dogs in a way that makes them comfortable, but it's hard to say without seeing body language.

http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/42/97/
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >