Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Muzzling - Thoughts

Looking for some thoughts and opinions please

As I explained yesterday Meg isn't been particulary good towards the pup at the moment.
Now I always said I wouldn't want to muzzle her,however I am seriously reconsidering the idea,so would appreciate some feedback please
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
This is just my thinking , but would she not associate the puppy with bad things. i.e with the muzzle being put on when she is around?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
This is just my thinking , but would she not associate the puppy with bad things. i.e with the muzzle being put on when she is around?
That is one of my concerns,so I would obviously need to get her used to the muzzle before putting it on her when she is in the company of Kissy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Looking for some thoughts and opinions please

As I explained yesterday Meg isn't been particulary good towards the pup at the moment.
Now I always said I wouldn't want to muzzle her,however I am seriously reconsidering the idea,so would appreciate some feedback please
Sorry, but this is not meant harshly, but having to muzzle an existing dog to allow a new puppy into my home, is not something I would contemplate

Personally I dont think its a good idea..already Meg is having to adjust to a new pup in the house, and if you then go an muzzle her, it may as has already been said, be an other negative she associates with pup.

I would continue to take things slowly, and if Meg is not dog friendly outside the home, you may have to be prepared she will not except this pup at all.

Hopefully you can accustom her to the pup, and she will eventually expect it... but keep praising her for her good behaviour .

Good luck, lets hope things settle for you soon!!
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry, but this is not meant harshly, but having to muzzle an existing dog to allow a new puppy into my home, is not something I would contemplate

Personally I dont think its a good idea..already Meg is having to adjust to a new pup in the house, and if you then go an muzzle her, it may as has already been said, be an other negative she associates with pup.

I would continue to take things slowly, and if Meg is not dog friendly outside the home, you may have to be prepared she will not except this pup at all.

Hopefully you can accustom her to the pup, and she will eventually expect it... but keep praising her for her good behaviour .

Totally agreee
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Please do not take this as a personal dig as that is NOT intended, but I am curious as to why you introduced a bitch puppy to your family if your existing girl is DA?

And I agree that muzzling probably isn't the best idea at least for the moment as her nose is probably well out of joint.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Thank you,
I asked for opinions and will take all advice and opinions onboard
I value your advice and that of other's and am not about to throw a hissy fit lol
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
As others have said I would take it vvvvv slow
Mia was totaly intolorant of Ben when I first got her, I just kept them seperate for most of the day only leting them be together when I could have 100% attention on them and when I could make something nice happen.
I spent lots of time doing tricks with them so she got used to working with Ben there and getting treats while he was there - but tiny treats so she didnt feel the need to guard them
it is possible but just dont let her practise being sarky at the pup - practise makes perfect and it may teach the pup to be aggressive
but also dont let the pup bug her, puppies can be v annoying so if it is charging remove it then reward her for having the pup charge
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Thank you,
I asked for opinions and will take all advice and opinions onboard
I value your advice and that of other's and am not about to throw a hissy fit lol
Thanks, as it is not meant as a "slap down " at all, but you may have to realise that you could have problems in the future also, you have a SBT bitch that does not tolerate other dogs.. she may or may not except this bitch puppy, but you really have to be prepared also for the time when the pup comes into maturity... and if she decides to Challenge Meg...

As you have already found out, the dog /bitch balance is working well ,and your boy is expecting of new pup.

I would also suggest, you get in touch with your breeder, to keep her in the picture, you may need her support, or the very worse scenario, is if the pup has to go back.

The very same thing has just happened with someone I know... got a puppy , with an already dog aggressive dog, the existing dog has attacked and bullied the pup to the degree, that the pup needed to be returned to the breeder... and consequently , the breeder has no end of problems with the puppy now, she cant rehome it, as it is so traumatised from the experience, she dare not allow it to go to another home.

I know that example is a little OOT, but is it just to make you aware of the worst scenario that can happen.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Please do not take this as a personal dig as that is NOT intended, but I am curious as to why you introduced a bitch puppy to your family if your existing girl is DA?

And I agree that muzzling probably isn't the best idea at least for the moment as her nose is probably well out of joint.
Meg was brought in as a pet but also as a foundation bitch and to show.Meg was then spayed after developing Pyo so showing and breeding went down the tubes.
Her aggression is through fear.

I enjoy showing with an aim to breed,hence why we were searching for another puppy.
This is going to sound dreadful but just because I have a DA bitch doesn't mean I should have to put that on hold.

I could have rehomed her,like other breeders would have done,however that is not an option,therefore we are exploring other avenue's to try and get her to accept Kissy.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >