Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Oh yes, agree completely that aggressive dogs should be banned for the safely of all concerned but to assume that all progeny have not only inherited the genetic component that facilitates this aggression, but also been subject to similar bad management that allows this to develop, is really taking it a bit far IMO.
I am still undecided on whether this is taking it too far or not. There are several variables that will come into play (including how the dog is brought up) however given that temperament is partly genetic I don't know if it is worth taking the risk. I know of an aggressive dog who passed on the trait to their progeny who in turn passed it on to their offspring. One of these dogs is incredibly unpredictable and gave an appauling display at a show once.

On the other hand I know of another dog whom has been banned and I personally think this is a little harsh.

Originally Posted by pod View Post
LOL, only just realised what you're on about
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Heavens I'd have booted them both out of the ring for showing such aggression, that's appalling that the Judge would ignore such behaviour

I do get annoyed when I hear things like this being ignored. By doing so they are all but condoning bad behaviour I know in Rotts there can be some huffing and puffing from the Males especially, it's common with a dominant breed and all that testosterone. But to show proper aggressive behaviour and even bite, absolutely no way should that be allowed. Any handler having a dog like that should be made to leave the ring, they setting a bad example to their breed

There is a lady whose Rottie male took an instant dislike to Marius the moment he met him, heaven knows why as all Marius wants to do is befriend all and sundry. She shows her dog too and the last two shows she has deliberately tried to upset Marius by allowing her dog too close to him and growling. Not that he bats an eyelid at it,but it isn't the point

The last show she even had the temerity to shout over to me (in front of the judge I might add! ) "Whereabouts are you going to stand with him, you can't be too close to us" as if it was Marius not her dog that would be aggressive! I was so mad I said "doesn't matter where we stand he's friendly and isn't a problem". Grr

I love hearing that there were 24 males in the ring at the show and no grumbles - exactly proves a point that Rotts are NOT dangerous dogs at all. My first Rottie bitch was a grumbler, always talking away like a good 'un. Typical girlie she never shut up!!!! She was hilarious doing agility, the pitch of the grumbles went up and down in rhythm with the agility course lol, I do miss that - Marius never chatters bless him. Lots of people don't realize it is quite a common breed trait (I know we didn't know about it until we got her) It's distinctively different to a proper growl though, you can tell in the 'tone' and their facial expressions
Oh don't get me started, I know of someone who actually said to the judge to be careful when checking bites and not to over handle the dogs as there was a dog in the class who was known to be aggressive, judge was an all rounder so not as fly to this person as he could have been, when in reality yes there was a dog in the class who could be a bit funny, but it was THEIR dog who was a bit sharp! And this exhibitor actually went round after the class, bragging about how they'd gotten away with it by saying that to the judge.

Remind me again why i'm getting involved in this.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post

Remind me again why i'm getting involved in this.
LOL Kel - don't worry, there are some good guys in the Rottie ring!!

I'd happily cheer you on!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Things can happen through stupidity too. How many times have I been sitting peacefully at a show with the dogs in a crate or sitting beside me, when a stranger with another Dalmatian - usually an entire male - comes up with that "yes-I've got-one-too-isn't-he-lovely" smug smile as they let their dog rush straight up to your entire male who is protective of his crate/perceived "woman". Any objections you raise are met with "well he's fine with other dogs..."
One Dalmatian got a life ban because another exhibitor in the Group ran their dog into the back of him and he turned around and nipped him. There are one or two well-known exhibitors who have attempted this since so unsettle or discredit a rival in the dog ring. Sometimes the owners are more aggressive than the dogs!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Things can happen through stupidity too. How many times have I been sitting peacefully at a show with the dogs in a crate or sitting beside me, when a stranger with another Dalmatian - usually an entire male - comes up with that "yes-I've got-one-too-isn't-he-lovely" smug smile as they let their dog rush straight up to your entire male who is protective of his crate/perceived "woman". Any objections you raise are met with "well he's fine with other dogs..."
One Dalmatian got a life ban because another exhibitor in the Group ran their dog into the back of him and he turned around and nipped him. There are one or two well-known exhibitors who have attempted this since so unsettle or discredit a rival in the dog ring. Sometimes the owners are more aggressive than the dogs!

That's amazing that it could so easily result in a ban. Was this under IKC rules Deccy and were the progeny also banned?
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4