Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I've only heard one Mal who regularly talks in the ring. The only other noises I've heard from Mals are quiet growling, not talking
It's not just Mals, a lot of breeds including rotts, especially boys, (you ask Shona ) 'talk' and to joe public it can be daunting but when you get to know them there is a distinct difference between talking and a quiet growl.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I have to agree with you here and as you say it happens in all breeds. There are a few lines in Mals that I personally wouldn't touch with a barge pole as although their dogs do reasonably well in the show ring, their temperament leaves an awful lot to be desired (and I am not only talking dog aggression here, but in some cases also people aggression ).

This also happens in my breed, some males do chunter under their breath but they aren't actually growling at the judge (we call it talking).

I think the vast majority of people will agree with you here Mo.

However temperament IS partly genetic, there is no guarantee the dog will pass their poor temperament on as it could be due to an environmental factor, however why should people take the risk? A while ago a judge had to go to hospital due to an incident where he sustained an injury to his face. I know of dogs who have been banned and thus any progeny can not be registered and in isolated cases I may not agree with it, but on the whole I see it as a good thing. The show ring is no place for an aggressive dog.
To me temperament is largely genetic. It can be tweaked (good management and training) like bread dough to give you say, rolls or a loaf, but the basic ingredients remain the same........

I have seen plenty of aggression ringside in the last two years, some minor, some not. As Pod mentioned it may be due to novice ownership, or down to the disposition of the dog concerned. Last week, one dog was snarling and lungeing in the ring. He does at most shows. The judge clocked it, scowled and then placed him high in her line-up!

To answer the OPs thread question: It should be, but judges often back down. Only by not placing or banning the real culprits will we inculcate any sense into breeders who breed for their own sport and profile, and not for the sake of the breed.

Mary
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I didn't know progeny could be banned too! How amazingly hypercritical of the KC. They have put so much effort into "breed not deed" pushing the notion that behaviour is not heritable.

I fully agree with banning the offending dog, for the safety of all concerned but his bad behaviour could be almost entirely down to bad management and very little to do with any genetic component that could be passed on to progeny.
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I too didnt realise the progeny would also get banned by default? having said that I dont think someone should breed from an aggressive dog, but we all know some people dont bother to take temperment into consideration when breeding. what I cant understand is the judge placing a dog when the judge has witnessed this behaviour, I can understand the judge not wanting to be the cause of a dog being banned and all of its progeny to follow suit, but I would have thought the judge would have at least not given the dog a placing especially when there were other dogs i the ring that behaved impecably and were of equal quality IMO?

MO
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
Certainly within my breed biligarance towards another dog in the ring isn't seen as a fault, if a dog attacked his/her handler another handler or judge it would be removed from the class, here in France you double handle so the likleyhood of a fight is probably higher than it is in a class in the UK, as your dog is the full length of it's lead free standing so not close to you and in a big open class full of males it does kick off quite often.

Mo and the Gang
Originally Posted by random View Post
It's not just Mals, a lot of breeds including rotts, especially boys, (you ask Shona ) 'talk' and to joe public it can be daunting but when you get to know them there is a distinct difference between talking and a quiet growl.
You all raise very good point, firstly rotts are permitted to show some aggression to other dogs, more so male on male,
My own view on this is, I would rather show an even tempered animal than one up on the muscle,
Some owners have used there dogs aggression to make the dog look more up on the muscle hence they stand better,, these dogs so often go on to do well, they then become popular studs in the breed,

One of my males came from a very hot headed bitch, hes as calm and non aggressive as anyone could wish for, I did often worrie about the kc rule { prodgeny being banned }
Why should my dog not be allowed to show when he has one of the nicest tempraments in the ring, hes never growled, raised a lip, put a foot out of line,
but thats the KC for you, thankfuly its never happend,

I do have to say though, In the last two years I have seen dog aggression being frowned appon by judges costing dogs places at shows,

There are so many good dogs in the breed, with super tempraments at the moment I think its starting to cost the more hot headed dogs places,
this can only be good for the breed imo, breeders will be working harder to ensure there dogs are well behaved and socilable.
I must say its paying off, I havent seen one spat in the male dog ring at the last few shows I attended, Kaos had 24 large males in his class at SKC, not as much as a grumble, it was lovely,

talking is noisey,,,you often hear the males talk when on the move,, its so funny,, the min they start moving,,,you get ----I dont know how to descibe it,,lol hackles never up just this constant gobby silly noise,,
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I've only heard one Mal who regularly talks in the ring. The only other noises I've heard from Mals are quiet growling, not talking
Oh, well I know of several who do it.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Oh yes I know, I know a few Mals who scare the pants off of people who think they are growling, but they are talking quietly As you say, once you know the difference, it's easy to tell
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I've also seen it bite it's owner in the ring, and the Judge turned a blind eye
Heavens I'd have booted them both out of the ring for showing such aggression, that's appalling that the Judge would ignore such behaviour

I do get annoyed when I hear things like this being ignored. By doing so they are all but condoning bad behaviour I know in Rotts there can be some huffing and puffing from the Males especially, it's common with a dominant breed and all that testosterone. But to show proper aggressive behaviour and even bite, absolutely no way should that be allowed. Any handler having a dog like that should be made to leave the ring, they setting a bad example to their breed

There is a lady whose Rottie male took an instant dislike to Marius the moment he met him, heaven knows why as all Marius wants to do is befriend all and sundry. She shows her dog too and the last two shows she has deliberately tried to upset Marius by allowing her dog too close to him and growling. Not that he bats an eyelid at it,but it isn't the point

The last show she even had the temerity to shout over to me (in front of the judge I might add! ) "Whereabouts are you going to stand with him, you can't be too close to us" as if it was Marius not her dog that would be aggressive! I was so mad I said "doesn't matter where we stand he's friendly and isn't a problem". Grr

I love hearing that there were 24 males in the ring at the show and no grumbles - exactly proves a point that Rotts are NOT dangerous dogs at all. My first Rottie bitch was a grumbler, always talking away like a good 'un. Typical girlie she never shut up!!!! She was hilarious doing agility, the pitch of the grumbles went up and down in rhythm with the agility course lol, I do miss that - Marius never chatters bless him. Lots of people don't realize it is quite a common breed trait (I know we didn't know about it until we got her) It's distinctively different to a proper growl though, you can tell in the 'tone' and their facial expressions
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 05:29 PM
will defo need to get a vid of holly talking, is so funny, its not like a growl so much with her, more like a right mouthfull of swear words,,doggy style,,lol
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 05:32 PM
[quote=Anne-Marie;1399424]Heavens I'd have booted them both out of the ring for showing such aggression, that's appalling that the Judge would ignore such behaviour

I do get annoyed when I hear things like this being ignored. By doing so they are all but condoning bad behaviour I know in Rotts there can be some huffing and puffing from the Males especially, it's common with a dominant breed and all that testosterone. But to show proper aggressive behaviour and even bite, absolutely no way should that be allowed. Any handler having a dog like that should be made to leave the ring, they setting a bad example to their breed

There is a lady whose Rottie male took an instant dislike to Marius the moment he met him, heaven knows why as all Marius wants to do is befriend all and sundry. She shows her dog too and the last two shows she has deliberately tried to upset Marius by allowing her dog too close to him and growling. Not that he bats an eyelid at it,but it isn't the point

this is my issue with it all, some handlers who find there dog flat on the day will use another dog to wind there own dog up and get it up on the muscle if you know what I mean, it really bugs me when I see it,,,judges seeing that sort of thing should deal with it,, its bad practice, but common in the breed im afraid,
hugs to marvelous marius,,,hes a babe
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 06:42 PM
However temperament IS partly genetic, there is no guarantee the dog will pass their poor temperament on as it could be due to an environmental factor, however why should people take the risk? A while ago a judge had to go to hospital due to an incident where he sustained an injury to his face. I know of dogs who have been banned and thus any progeny can not be registered and in isolated cases I may not agree with it, but on the whole I see it as a good thing. The show ring is no place for an aggressive dog.

Oh yes, agree completely that aggressive dogs should be banned for the safely of all concerned but to assume that all progeny have not only inherited the genetic component that facilitates this aggression, but also been subject to similar bad management that allows this to develop, is really taking it a bit far IMO.

Just read this again and had to admit it made me laugh

Sorry

I know... crazy
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
LOL, only just realised what you're on about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >