Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I think I could accept a dog in my breed "being on its toes" but not out and out aggression as I have seen in the ring, when the dogs behave like this it puts everyone sharing the ring with that dog on tenderhooks, any dog that bites a judge/other people/or attacks another dog should be dismissed from the ring (seen a couple of thes incidents and the judge ignoring it and in fact still placed a dog) IMO out and out aggressive dogs should not be allowed to be shown or bred from,

Mo
Hi Mo, agree but I think judges do worry about the progeny being banned along with the offending animal, it would worry me too and I would have to be badly damaged before I did it. May be I am being irresponsible but I would think about the other blameless dogs that would also be effected.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Hi Mo, agree but I think judges do worry about the progeny being banned along with the offending animal, it would worry me too and I would have to be badly damaged before I did it. May be I am being irresponsible but I would think about the other blameless dogs that would also be effected.
That is what I thought not long ago when the Beagle and all his progeny were banned. Perhaps it would be better if the culprit were banned and all progeny had to take a behavioural assessment by their vet and have it sent back to the kc before allowing them back into the ring.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
That is what I thought not long ago when the Beagle and all his progeny were banned. Perhaps it would be better if the culprit were banned and all progeny had to take a behavioural assessment by their vet and have it sent back to the kc before allowing them back into the ring.
I think we would see more dogs sent from the ring if this was the rule, but it isn't and I think it is what worries judges.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post

I didn't know progeny could be banned too! How amazingly hypercritical of the KC. They have put so much effort into "breed not deed" pushing the notion that behaviour is not heritable.

I fully agree with banning the offending dog, for the safety of all concerned but his bad behaviour could be almost entirely down to bad management and very little to do with any genetic component that could be passed on to progeny.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:11 AM
I too didnt realise the progeny would also get banned by default? having said that I dont think someone should breed from an aggressive dog, but we all know some people dont bother to take temperment into consideration when breeding. what I cant understand is the judge placing a dog when the judge has witnessed this behaviour, I can understand the judge not wanting to be the cause of a dog being banned and all of its progeny to follow suit, but I would have thought the judge would have at least not given the dog a placing especially when there were other dogs i the ring that behaved impecably and were of equal quality IMO?

MO
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Certainly within my breed biligarance towards another dog in the ring isn't seen as a fault, if a dog attacked his/her handler another handler or judge it would be removed from the class, here in France you double handle so the likleyhood of a fight is probably higher than it is in a class in the UK, as your dog is the full length of it's lead free standing so not close to you and in a big open class full of males it does kick off quite often.

Mo and the Gang
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sadly I could give you the name of a couple of very well known kennels in our breed ,who's have bred from aggressive dogs, and although they produce fabulous looking dogs, that do well in the ring...I would`nt touch any of their off springs with a barge pole.

This goes on not just in our bred, but all breeds...for some people it is the winning that counts, and temperament seems to be the last consideration.
I have to agree with you here and as you say it happens in all breeds. There are a few lines in Mals that I personally wouldn't touch with a barge pole as although their dogs do reasonably well in the show ring, their temperament leaves an awful lot to be desired (and I am not only talking dog aggression here, but in some cases also people aggression ).

Originally Posted by Pita View Post
There are one or two males in my own breed that chunter under their breath when being gone over, breed judges ignore it but a few all rounders are a bit concerned.
This also happens in my breed, some males do chunter under their breath but they aren't actually growling at the judge (we call it talking).

Originally Posted by mo View Post
IMO out and out aggressive dogs should not be allowed to be shown or bred from
I think the vast majority of people will agree with you here Mo.

Originally Posted by pod View Post
I didn't know progeny could be banned too! How amazingly hypercritical of the KC. They have put so much effort into "breed not deed" pushing the notion that behaviour is not heritable.

I fully agree with banning the offending dog, for the safety of all concerned but his bad behaviour could be almost entirely down to bad management and very little to do with any genetic component that could be passed on to progeny.
However temperament IS partly genetic, there is no guarantee the dog will pass their poor temperament on as it could be due to an environmental factor, however why should people take the risk? A while ago a judge had to go to hospital due to an incident where he sustained an injury to his face. I know of dogs who have been banned and thus any progeny can not be registered and in isolated cases I may not agree with it, but on the whole I see it as a good thing. The show ring is no place for an aggressive dog.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Just read this again and had to admit it made me laugh

Sorry
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 12:35 PM
I also think it depends on the breed.Some breeds are known to be a bit 'sharp'..esp the males and if a dog is used at stud this can make it worse.
I think reacting to another male who is maybe eyeballing etc and unprovocated aggression are completely different.
We have a male in our breed who is known for his aggression..he has lunged at several other males without provocation.His breed lines are also known to be 'unreliable'.At the end of the day if people stop buying from these lines then the breeders will stop breeding.
I also think that if a dog was banned it shouldn't include progeny...each dog should be judged on its merit.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
This also happens in my breed, some males do chunter under their breath but they aren't actually growling at the judge (we call it talking).
I've only heard one Mal who regularly talks in the ring. The only other noises I've heard from Mals are quiet growling, not talking
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >