Our sister sites
Our sister sites
may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2008, 12:40 PM

minnie, fell terrier 2 years

GENERAL APPEARANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

A sturdy, tough, active, little terrier. As a working terrier, it has to be capable of squeezing through very small passages underground to follow its quarry. A big terrier can cut off its own air supply. Therefore, its chest is not too big.

The dog presents a compact, balanced image, with straight legs.

Scars resulting from wounds received while working are considered honorable and are not to be penalized.

HEAD AND SKULL

The head and muzzle are strong and powerful.

TEETH - A full complement of strong, white teeth meet in a level bite. Teeth broken, or incisors lost, while working are not to be penalized.

EARS - The moderate size ears fold to the side of the cheeks.

NECK

The strong, muscular neck is of moderate length. A strong neck helps as much as a strong jaw in killing vermin.

BODY:

The body conveys an active appearance. The chest is not too big, capable of being spanned behind the shoulders by average-size hands. The strong, straight back is in proportion to the height. Not too long, not too short. Too short a back in proportion to the terrier's weight makes him awkward underground.

TAIL
The tail is set high. Its length is in proportion to the body, usually about five to seven inches in length. The tail is sometimes the only thing by which to pull a terrier out when you have dug down to him.

COAT
The coat may be smooth or broken coated. Smooth-coated dogs have a dense coat.
A good coat is important to protect against the wet underground and briars.

COLOR
Acceptable colors include: Black, red; liver (with a red nose); grizzle, black and tan; bronze. Ninety-five percent of the breed will produce black-colored dogs, but the odd dog of all colors will come with white feet and chest. Some of the best ones are marked like this.

HEIGHT & WEIGHT
Height range is from 11 to 15 inches.
Weight ranges from 10 to 17 pounds. The dogs weigh more than they look.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Unilateral or bilateral cryptorchid. Viciousness or extreme shyness. Albinism

PLEASE NOTE: minnie is currently feeding a litter of pups

may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2008, 05:08 PM
some more pics for you

jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Sorry I cant critique but she's lovely!
may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2008, 05:17 PM
thanks feel free to say anything though, even if your'e not sure if its meant to be that way or not
ps the fur on her legs is lieing in a bit of a funny shape in the pics making her legs look a little bent, they're not like that realy
may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2008, 08:54 PM
no one can find nowt wrong with me dog then i take it
may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2008, 08:26 PM
sorry to post again, please someone say someting
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
There is no real breed standard for the fell Terrier, its a "type" rather than a breed, some call them patterdales as Im sure you know. They are not a recognised breed.

I think your bitch is ok, she does have a very straight front and upright shoulders, which I dont like, but more importantly for this type of dog, does she work? As a working Terrier primarilly, most breeders of this type insist on working capabilities before entertaining breeding them, if this is the case then fair play to you.

Would like to see her in a fit condition to give a better overall impression. Please dont take this post the wrong way, I mean no offence, just speaking truthfully.
Dawn.
may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
There is no real breed standard for the fell Terrier, its a "type" rather than a breed, some call them patterdales as Im sure you know. They are not a recognised breed.

I think your bitch is ok, she does have a very straight front and upright shoulders, which I dont like, but more importantly for this type of dog, does she work? As a working Terrier primarilly, most breeders of this type insist on working capabilities before entertaining breeding them, if this is the case then fair play to you.

Would like to see her in a fit condition to give a better overall impression. Please dont take this post the wrong way, I mean no offence, just speaking truthfully.
Dawn.
thanks for that,
yep she does occasionaly work, very good at it too
sorry for correcting you here but i've been breeding and showing fells for some time now, where i live they are reconised by our local terrier club as a separate breed from the patterdale and do have a breed standard and are not a 'type' although most people will say that this is the case
looking at the pics again her front does look a little streight as you say but she does look better with muscle (lost it all whilst preggers ) and the stands not the best
again i don't mean to offend with this post
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 05:47 PM
No offence taken.

I actually dont live far from you, West Mids, its a long standing argument, that a fell is a patt or they are the same, or one has a smooth coat, one doesnt etc etc... I think they are the same, I tend to find most people call the blacks and chocs Patterdales and the reds etc Fells.

What does she work? I have worked terriers for about 16yrs now. I must say your profile is "different" for a trainee Vet, cant think that I know any that would breed this type of Dog, (or breed full stop, most of them) nor that any would work a Terrier either.

Dawn.
may
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
lol i was always called the weird one ! no, i'm a big lover of terriers and fell in love with the beard and eyebrows of the fell there is quite a lot of differance between what i call a fell and a patterdale, like back legnth, ear shape and position and of course the tail
oh yes and shes a rabbiter with me lab/greyhound
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »